SEVENTY-EIGHT

Jack's POV

"Hey mom, I think I'm gonna go ahead and stay at a hotel while I'm here." I spoke into my phone as soon as my mom picked up on the other line.

"Ok, just please make sure you're being careful and driving safely. Pull over if you feel tired or drowsy." She reminded me. I could sense a hint of worry in her tone.

"Don't worry about me. I'm going to be fine, and I'm bringing Gabby with me when I come back."

"Well we'll be waiting here for you all when you get back." I could hear the smile in her voice.

"How are Gabby's parents doing? I meant to ask earlier."

"They're a lot better now. Ever since you called us with the news, it's been a lot easier to process. They're so grateful that you went up there."

"I think I would have gone crazy if I stayed in that house any longer. How about Drew?"

"He's been fussy today. I think he misses his parents." She joked.

It made me sad to think about Drew getting used to Gabby not being around, and the thought of him forgetting her made me feel even worse. I'm not sure what the mental capacity for an infant is, or how long they'll remember important people in their lives when they're not seeing them consistently. Hopefully this is just a part of him getting used to the idea of object permanence.

"Thank you for taking care of him, mom.. And can you tell everyone else I said thank you as well.

"It's no problem, honey. We were all planning to steal him away for a weekend with his grandparents anyways, so this is even better." I smiled at her enthusiasm. The reminder that no matter what he'll be surrounded by so much love and care made me feel better.

"You made it to Georgia, right?" She asked.

"Yeah, I just crossed the state line a few minutes ago."

"And they're gonna let you check the highway cameras again, right?"

"Yeah, the officer at the last department said he already called in up here, and they said it was fine. I think it might be in my best interest to get in touch with a state trooper though so I don't have to go from county department to county department."

"Ya know, they have public websites where you can access this stuff. You don't have to travel state by state to do this."

I didn't know how to explain to her that I already knew that and looked into it, but couldn't stand to stay in Florida while I did this. I love our parents and Drew, but I feel so helpless there, and I feel useless while there. It's made me feel better to get out of the house and be proactive about this.''

"Yeah, but I'm already here so..." I shrugged.

"Just please stay safe, honey."

"I promise I am," I smiled to myself "Just please try to spread the word that she's still alive when you can. It's so important that we don't let this search die down."

"We definitely will. We're working on getting a national search since it seems like they've gotten out of Florida."

"Thank you, mom." I smiled.

Gabby's POV

I woke up to the blaring sound of Hayes' alarm, scaring the shit out of me and causing a rush of adrenaline to run through my body..

I let out a groan as he grabbed his phone, hitting the power button so it would stop.

He adjusted his body, turning his face away from me and tucking his hands under his pillow.