SIXTY

Jack and I sat in the car in silence, on the way to Hayes' house for this estate sale. I was still shaken up from last night, and I could tell that he was bothered by it as well.

As he pulled up to the street full of cars, he found the first spot he could and parallel parked.

"Ok," He said as he took his seatbelt off "The box may be in one of their closed off rooms so one of us may have to sneak in while the other kind of stays as a lookout." I nodded my head and let out a sigh before taking my seatbelt off.

"Or you can just stay in here if you want."

"No, it's fine, I just wish I would have grabbed this yesterday. I don't know what I was thinking." I said as I got out of the car.

We walked to the house with a few people ahead of us doing the same thing.

In the front yard there was an estate sale sign as well as a few of the staff members sitting outside, probably on their break or something.

We walked up the stairs to the house and when we entered, we saw a small table and a line in front of it. People had items in their hands such as picture frames, plates and dishes, someone had a painting.

"Ok, where did you say you found the box?" Jack turned to me and asked.

"Uhh, it's upstairs... In the room to the left."

"Ok, while I do that do you just want to look around?" He asked me and I nodded my head in response.

"I'll just.. Text you in like twenty minutes then." He said before kissing my forehead and heading up the stairs. While he did that, I scanned my surroundings.

I saw small yellow sticky-price tags on everything from Vases, to paintings, to coffee tables.

I knew he would hate all of these people in his house, touching his stuff, buying up everything he owned, but I guess hes dead now so that doesnt matter.

I walked into the kitchen from the foyer to find people all over the kitchen, looking at the plates and silverware. There was an older woman and her husband who had collected plenty of items. They had plates and glasses, a soap dish, the man tried to hold a pair of slacks over his arm as he held a few belts between his elbow.

I snickered at the sight of people going crazy over all of this junk.

As I walked from the kitchen to the living room, I spotted a glimpse of the bathroom where I was forced to change into lingerie when Hayes brought me over here once. I shuddered at the thought and continued walking again.

I looked around the living room and I saw the same thing- yellow price stickers and people carrying a whole bunch of junk, looking for more to pick up.

I decided to head upstairs and walked past the room that I had been in yesterday. It had a "DO NOT ENTER" sign on it which was crossed out with blue painters tape. You could tell that the tape had been tampered with, and I'm assuming that's where Jack is now.

I walked to the end of the hall to Hayes' office and no one was in there. I saw a huge Brooklyn skyline poster that was framed and hanging above a printer on one side of the room. There was a wooden desk in the middle of the room, in front of a large window.

I sat down at the big leather chair behind the desk and leaned back so my back was resting on the seat.

I looked around the room, seeing the framed pictures and filling cabinets around the room. I let out a sigh before leaning forward and opening the desk drawers. The first one contained sticky notes, pens, and a stapler. I closed it and opened the one under it. It had a rubber band ball, some more pens, and a small, hand-held cassette tape player.

My eyes lightened up at the sight of it and I picked it up. I observed it, seeing that there was a hole to plug in headphones.

As I was looking at it, someone walked into the room. I looked up and noticed that it was a worker.

"Good afternoon, How are you?" He said with a smile.

"Good afternoon, I'm doing well. How about you?" I smiled back.

"I'm alright, ready to go home." He chuckled "Can I help you find anything or lift anything maybe?" He said, looking at my pregnant stomach.

"Actually, I was here yesterday, looking through some personal documents since I knew the guy who lived here. I wanted to take a box I was looking through home, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do you know where it might be?"

"It's probably in one of the blocked off rooms, but I'm afraid you cant go into them to get anything. It's a privacy thing."

"Oh.. I get it. What if I prove that it was me who came by yesterday? I already looked through everything in one of the blocked off rooms," He looked like he was in deep thought about what I just said "The young man who let me in.. Kai I think was his name? He can prove that I was here." His face changed into a sad expression.

"Kai isnt working today, he was in a bad accident yesterday night."

"W— an accident?"

"Yeah." He sighed

"Can I ask what happened?" I asked.

"It was a car accident. A hit-n-run actually. He's ok, hes just in the hospital today."

"Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry to hear about that."

"All that's important is that he's going to be ok." He gave me a weak smile.

Jack walked in and stopped in his tracks as he noticed the man I was talking to.

"Hey, Gabby. You ready to go?" He asked from the doorway and the man that I was talking to turned to look at him.

"Uhh, yeah." I nodded my head, while getting up from my seat and grabbing the VHS player. I turned to the man before I walked towards the door "Thank you for the help, and I really hope Kai has a speedy recovery." I gave him a weak smile.

I walked downstairs with Jack, and we bought the small VHS player for about seven dollars before we left.

As we walked to the car, it was silent. All you could hear were our feet as we walked and the cars passing by.

When we got into the car, Jack started it up, he broke the silence.

"I didn't find any boxes filled with anything that you described to me. Just a bunch of paper and junk." He sighed.

I rubbed my temples as I let out a sigh "This will never fucking end." I muttered.

"It's gonna be ok. We'll get it back eventually."

"I dont even care anymore," I shrugged "I cant even fathom how tired I am. I'm not letting him torment me from the fucking grave."

"Yeah, but those were... Personal. I mean, if just anybody gets their hands on them—"

"Jack, I dont care," I shook my head "I hate to sound so rude but I could not give any more fucks than I do now. He is dead and I am free. I haven't seen or thought of those pictures since yesterday and I just dont fucking care about it anymore."

There was a long moment of silence before he nodded his head "Ok."

-

Yikes it's been two months. In my defense, second semester is lowkey whooping my ass this time, but I do plan to update soon again. Idk if ppl are still reading this book but if you are THANK YOU FOR BEARING WITH ME