SIXTY-SEVEN

Pls read the note at the end of the chapter! Sorry for the delayed update!

1Month Later

I sat on the back patio of Mark's parents' house, next to the pool, soaking up the sun.

Jack's parents were out grocery shopping, while my parents sat inside and watched Drew. It's so nice to have their help, especially because I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

Jack and I have created routines for ourselves in Miami. We both workout now, we're both on maternity and paternity leave right now so work isn't really a concern for us, and we spend so much time with our parents. It seems like we've spent too much time with them.

The house is in an area called Aventura. It's right by the water and is in a pretty busy, touristy part of town, but it's so beautiful and safe. It also seems to be a pretty wealthy area too.

The house is really nice too. It sits on a residential canal, so every once in meanwhile we can see people on their family boats or little tourist catamarans. Mark's parents must be loaded because their house house in Arizona is nice too.

I walked into the kitchen to find my mom making a garden salad. I could tell that she was humming the song 'If you Play Your Cards Right' by Alicia Myers. She definitely overplayed that song throughout my childhood, but it made me smile to hear it after such a long time.

"Hey mom." I smiled warmly at her as I hugged her from behind.

"Hey sweetie, how has your morning been?" She asked.

"It's been good. Very relaxing." I smiled as I hopped up on the counter she was at.

"That's good. If you're hungry, you can enjoy some lunch in a minute." She said, referring to her salad.

It's so nice to have our parents cook for us again. I can't even remember the last time Jack and I cooked for ourselves.

"I will definitely get some," I smiled "Where's Drew?"

"He is with your father. They're probably either napping or watching the game." I chuckled to myself at her response.

"Trying to condition my son already, I see." I chuckled.

"You know how he feels about His beloved Washington Football team," She smiled.

We sat in a comfortable silence before she spoke again.

"But, how are.. Other things. Any word from Hayes?"

"Umm," I hesitated "No, thank God."

She nodded her head, "That's good."

We sat in an uncomfortable silence because I felt a certain conversation coming again.

"I just wish you two could have worked out," I rolled my eyes at her words. She noticed my dismay and corrected herself before I could speak again "Not.. Like you should have tolerated any of that shit, but I just wish he would have done better... For himself and for you."

My mom used to always like Hayes. She liked that while we were dating, he seemed respectful, kind, protective and head over heels for me. She was in complete disbelief when she found out about everything he had done to me, and I think a part of her deep down had hoped he changed so we could have picked back up or so he could somehow redeem himself.

"I don't think it was ever going to," I shrugged.

"He was just... Such a good boy, what happened?" She shook her head.

"He was never a good boy or a nice guy, he just put up a front. They never really are." I slightly rolled my eyes.

I recall Hayes keeping in touch with her after we broke up, before he started acting fucking crazy.