TWENTY

I pulled into my driveway, arriving back home from work, still tired from my day.

I got out of my car and locked the doors while heading down to the mail box. I usually just let Jack handle it now, but since he's not home, I have the pleasure of getting it.

When I opened the mailbox, I saw a white package on top of all of the other mail we had received. It was probably the medicine for his migranes, I just wish he could have taken it with him.

I let out a sigh as I took it all out of the mailbox, trying to gather all of it in one hand.

After I grabbed it, I headed back up the driveway and to the front door, grabbing my keys and unlocking it.

When I got inside, I kicked off my shoes and headed to the kitchen to set all of the mail down and text Jack about his package.

Your medicine came. What do you want me to do it it? -Gabby

Could you leave it on my desk or open it and set it on my side of the bathroom?-Jack

Of course.- Gabby

I set my phone down and headed to the bathroom to take care of business, but when I came back, picked up the package. I was immediately stopped by the sight of an envelope from the one and only California State Lrison of Los Angeles County.

I let out a sigh in exasperation as I dropped the package back down on the table and rubbed my temples.

"What is your fucking problem, I thought we were done with all of this." I groaned as I picked it up.

I picked up my phone and texted Jack again.

We got another letter from the prison...-Gabby

Not even five seconds later, I got an incoming call from Jack so I picked up.

Jack's POV

Ryan, Mark, Sadie and I were finally done with our modules for the day and were walking back to the hotel we were staying at, which wasn't too far from the convention center.

"Guys, I think we should all go get drinks to celebrate the end of a long day." Mark suggested, cheerfully.

"I'm down." I chuckled.

"I think I'll pass. I don't really drink anyways." Ryan said.

"Well, what about you, Sadie?" Mark looked over to her.

"I don't know. I think I'll just let you and Jack have at it today." She shrugged.

"Oh, come on. We're all here together in Las Vegas. Why not try to make the best out of it?" Mark laughed. I was hoping she wouldn't agree to coming, but of course that's just not how things work.

"Ok, I guess I'll go with you guys." She slightly laughed.

Mark is such a good friend of mine, but sometimes he can just be such an ass wipe. I told him exactly what went down between us, but I guess he didn't understand how bad the situation actually is.

We headed to the hotel's bar which was connected to a small casino and we all sat down at the bar.

We all engaged in a pretty good conversation. I could still feel the tension, but it wasn't too bad.

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, indicating that I got a text, so I took my phone out to check it. It was a text from Gabby.

Your medicine came. Where do you want me to put it- Gabby.

"Hey, I'm going to the bathroom real quick," Mark said while getting up "I'll be right back."

He left Sadie and I awkwardly sitting at the bar, so I took the time to text Gabby back, but was interrupted by the sound of Sadie's voice.

"Hey, I just wanted to say I'm sorry... again." I stopped typing the message and looked up at her.

"It's.. it's all good. I think we should just leave any type of animosity or immature behavior in the past though." I said as I went back to typing my message, then pressed "send"

"Yeah, the presentation thing... Not my proudest moment." She awkwardly nodded her head.

"But.. you do see why all of that would make my wife and I feel uncomfortable though... right?" I set down my phone and faced her.

"I mean, yeah, but it was harmless. Nothing actually happened."

"Your boyfriend pressed me about it at the grocery store in front of my wife. I almost got assaulted for that. Not to mention that your excuse for not telling me my first real presentation at this new corporation was pushed forward thirty minutes earlier, was that you 'didn't want my wife to overreact'" she stayed silent as her cheeks turned red.

I let out a sigh "I just can't afford any immaturity or drama when it comes to my work life, especially when it takes a toll on my life at home."

"I understand, and once again, I'm so sorry. That was never my intent."

"It's ok now, just please don't bring me into that anymore. You're cool and I like you a lot as a person, but this—" I was interrupted by my phone buzzing again and looked down to see a text from Gabby.

We got another letter from the prison...- Gabby.

I let out a sigh in exasperation.

"I have to make a phone call. I'll just see you and Mark later or something." I said while getting up and grabbing my blazer from the chair.

"Oh.. ok, bye, Jack." She called after me, and I turned back to wave.

Gabby's POV

"Hello?" I picked up the phone and held it to my ear.

"Hey, babe. You said you got a letter?" He asked.

"Yep, just got it in the mail today." I leaned over the countertop.

"How are you? Are you doing ok?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm just annoyed. What made him start now? After you left?" I asked and there were a few moments of silence from the other end.

"Well, he's kind of still been sending them. I just didn't tell you." He hesitated.

I let out a sigh and rested my forehead in my hand "So, there's been a two week gap where he was still sending letters even though I had no idea?" I asked.

I already had a feeling something was up, especially after he lied about the letter for his job, but I guess most of me just wanted to push those thoughts to the side.

"I didnt want to stress you out. Obviously, after the last one you read, that was a lot on you and you didn't even look at the mail. Plus you didn't ask." He responded.

I was annoyed that he didn't tell me, but I understand that he had good intent.

"Jack, what are we going to do? He's getting out in a month and a half and we have done nothing to be cautious."

"You got the restraining orders, right?" He asked.

"I need to file them when you get back, but other than that, I guess."

"Then we'll be ok. We're probably overthinking this more than he is." I rolled my eyes at that statement.

"I guess." I muttered into the phone. Jack really doesn't understand the urgency of the situation, but maybe he is right. I really should try not to stress over it too much.