SEVENTEEN

I woke up in the middle of the night to my work phone buzzing on the dresser on the opposite side of the room from Jack and I's bed.

As I stirred awake, more notifications continued to flood in, making an annoying "dinging" sound.

Despite the loud, annoying chiming, Jack didn't seem phased by it at all and remained asleep.

His arms were still locked around me as he was spooning me, so I tried to get up just for him to gently pull me back into him.

"Jack, move. I will be right back." I whispered while prying his arms off of me, and all he did was let out a groan and let go.

I got out of the bed and walked to my work phone which still had a lit-up screen.

I noticed that it was 5:34 AM and all of the notifications were emails sent with attachments.

I opened the phone to be met with a blinding white screen with a thread of emails.

Most of the attachments were different from one another, but they were all evidence of harassment or threats with no context.

There were text messages, emails, another audio file, and home survalenve videos.

I was shocked as I looked through the messages that seemed to be between her and her husband.

I read the vulgar messages that he sent her, claiming that he'd ruin her life, telling her she'd lose her kids, calling her out of her name.

I played one of the videos that was sent and it was a video of a man throwing clothing out on a front lawn along with other items while screaming at the top of his lungs. He seemed drunk as he slurred every curse word to leave his mouth.

"Baby, come back to bed. It's Saturday. We don't have to get up this early." I heard Jack groan from the bed.

I ignored him and exited out of the video and overall email so I could type up my own.

"Good morning Ms. Neil,

This is great evidence to back up your case. I just wanted to contact you and ask you if you're ok though. Is there anything I can do for you?"

I then sent the email and let out a deep sigh while turning the phone off.

I hesitantly set it back down on the dresser and walked back to the bed and climbed in. I immediately felt Jack pull me back into his chest and let out a satisfied sigh.

"Who was that?" He asked in a raspy voice.

"Somebody for work." I mumbled in response and he was already lightly snoring in my ear.

-

Obviously, this is a shorter chapter and the story has digressed away from Hayes, but it all fits into the plot perfectly so I hope y'all still enjoy this lol