TWENTY-ONE

Jack's POV

"Come on, Gilinsky. What good is staying in here and watching TV while everyone else goes out and socializes?" Mark asked.

"I'm planning on calling Gabby tonight so we can catch up." I continued to flip through the TV channels.

"Come on, I don't want to third wheel with Ryan and Sadie. It's always more comfortable with you." He begged.

"We already went to the bar. I've had enough alcohol for today. We're not in college anymore." I chuckled.

"This has nothing to do with the alcohol. We're here to network and socialize along with work on whatever the fuck we do during the day. This is the networking part and it's vital. Think of it as another part of work, and you know you're not supposed to drink on the job."

"Fine," I sighed "but if I come back up early, you can't say shit." I said while getting up.

Mark and I walked downstairs to the lobby and I could already hear the loud music and see the crowd of people in the bar we were in earlier today.

We squeezed through people to get to the tables in the back of the room and ended up finding Ryan's and Sadie sitting at one, conversing so we joined them.

We all ended up ordering drinks, so Ryan and I ended up getting cranberry juice while Sadie and Mark got margaritas.

The conversation went on and on for about an hour. I can definitely say I was having fun just socializing, but I was also anxious to get upstairs and get some sleep.

"Why don't you guys loosen up? Get some drinks." Sadie suggested.

"I'm ok." Ryan shook his head.

"Yeah, I already had a drink earlier." I said.

"Pleeeaaasseeee," she begged Ryan and he surprisingly gave in easily.

"Fine." He sighed.

"Come on, G. You have to join in." Mark insisted.

"I mean, I guess." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Good," she smiled at Ryan and I "I'll go get our shots then." she said while getting up.

As she walked away, I slumped down into my chair while Dyan took his phone out of his pocket.

"See, this is why we all need to take some shots," Mark said to Ryan and I.

"Look at everyone else having fun and connecting," he gestured to the crowd of people in the center of the room "and we look like we all have sticks up our asses."

"We seemed to all be having a good time anyways. I don't see why we need alcohol to spice anything up." I said as I sat up in my seat.

"It's not that you need to spice anything up, you just—"

"Ok ladies," Mark was interrupted by Sadie coming back "Here are your shots." She said while setting each one down in front of us.

"What are they?" I asked.

"You'll have to find out." She said while sitting back down in her spot.

I looked from her to my drink then back up at her to find her looking down at me.

"Oh, come on, do you think I poisoned it or something?" She shook her head "Here, switch with me." She slid her shot glass over to me and took mine in return.

"Alright, on the count of three," Mark said as we all took the tiny shot glasses into our hands.

"Three.. two.. one."

We all threw our heads back, taking in whatever it was that Sadie gave us.

It was Fireball.

I shook my head as the taste stayed in my mouth and noticed my colleagues doing the same thing.

"There wasn't anything better?" I asked her.

"We could all take another round to get rid of the taste." She smiled.

-

I sat at the table with my eyes glued on my Jack Daniels as everyone kept conversing.

"Woah, Jack. You doing ok, buddy?" Mark interrupted my staring.

"Huh?" I looked up at him.

"You've been glaring at your glass for a few minutes. Are you ok?" He asked, giggling a little bit. I could tell everyone else was a little tipsy, but I already felt drunk.

I nodded my head and went back to watching my glass when Bad and Boujee started playing. What is this? A high school party?

"We have to get out there." Ryan looked at all of us while getting up from his spot.

"No, I think I'll just wait here." I set my head down as Mark, Ryan, and Sadie all got up.

"Come on, Jack. When do you get to party like you're in college anymore?" Sadie said while pulling me out of my seat by my arm.

My legs felt like jelly as I stood up and I just didn't feel right at all.

"You're being a drama queen. Come dance with us." Sadie dragged me into the crowd of people and that's all I can really remember.