FORTY-SIX

"I'll be back on Sunday, just please be careful and send your location and everything to Lia and Johnson." Jack said quickly, trying to recall any other directions to give to me as he grabbed his carryon out of the trunk.

"Lia already has it."

"The alarm code is 4314– and if you don't turn it off in time, the police will show—"

"Jack, I know." I cut him off.

He let out a sigh and his eyes shifted from his bags to me.

"I promise I'll be ok."

"Just please.. please do me a favor and try to stay with Johnson and Lia as much as possible."

"I will, Jack. Stop worrying before you get a headache." I chuckled while cupping his face in my hands.

"I'm not going to get a headache." He playfully Rolled his eyes "I just want you to be safe, that's all."

"I know how to be safe." I said and he looked up at me with a look of disbelief, then went back to collecting his bags.

"I do!" I playfully raised my voice.

"Mhm, at least just keep me in the loop at all times. If he pays you a visit, tell me. If he calls you, tell me. If he invites you out again, just let me know. Ok?"

"Ok."

"Pinky promise?" He asked while holding his pinky out.

"Pinky promise." I said as I hooked mine with his.

"Glad we're on the same page," He gave me a toothy grin "But please remember," He started as he pulled up the handle from his carryon "I will be back in a few days. Please don't hesitate to call or text. I will catch the next flight or bus or train or whatever I need to to get down here if you need me, just ask."

He pulled me into him and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, embracing me into a tight hug.

"I will, Jack," I wrapped my arms around him as well.

-

As I was laying down in the guest room, scrolling through Twitter, a phone call from Jack came in.

"Heyyy." He drew out his words.

"Hi Jack, how's it going?" I slightly laughed while putting it on speaker phone and tossing my phone next to me.

"I'm doing good. And you?" He asked. 

"I'm doing pretty good, I've just been bored." I frowned.

"Me too! There's nothing to do." He groaned.

"No little parties like last time?" I asked.

"No, it's not that kind of a business trip."

"How misfortune." I said sarcastically.

"Yeah," he chuckled "Well, what are your plans for tomorrow?" He asked.

"I dont know. Go to work, then third wheel with Lia and Johnson I guess. How about you?

"Meetings. I think they have a pool here so I'll check that out in my free time."

"Swimming sounds so nice right now." I sighed as I slightly stretched my aching back.

"Hey, I really wanted to talk to you about our conversation revolving Hayes earlier this week... I've been thinking about it all day." He said.

"Yeah, of course."

"So, I was thinking we could do it the week that I get back. You can invite him over so you can get him in our house, and so we can both catch him off guard. You don't have to be there when I do it— in fact, I dont want you there when I do it. You can just step out or something. I don't know yet. We can stage it like it was a home invasion or something. He already is the crazy ex, so why would people believe that he was setup." He seemed more than eager to go through with his plan.