SEVENTY-ONE

I woke up to the sun shining in my eyes as I stirred awake, and immediately noticed the pain around my wrists.

I winced as I slightly moved, hurting them more and looking down to see my hands hand-cuffed together.

My knees were against my chest and my arms were wrapped around them, securing myself in this position, curled up in a ball. I maneuvered myself into this position somehow because I definitely find comfort in sitting this way.

"How did you sleep?" My thoughts were interrupted by Hayes' raspy voice.

"Where are we?" I ignored his question as I looked around and saw nothing but tobacco fields around us.

"How did you sleep?" he asked again, this time a little slower, indicating slight irritation in his tone.

"Like I'm being taken somewhere against my will," He chuckled in response as I unfolded myself out of the bawled up position I was in as I stretched out, feeling sore all over from last night "But seriously, where the hell are we?" I asked again."

"Take a guess."

"Northern Florida." I said bluntly.

"Not anymore. Take another one."

"Hayes, please stop it with the games. Where the fuck are you taking me?"

"I told you, I can't tell you."

"Are you taking us back to LA?"

"Fuck no. I hate LA."

"You have lived there for the past twelve years. You obviously don't hate it enough."

"Well, I came here for you. I didn't necessarily want to go to Cal State, but I wanted to be close to you, so I went. And of course, we... Had our rough patch, I went to prison, and now I'm back. So, now it's your turn to travel away from home for me."

"I never asked you to go to school near me. I would have been more than happy with you going to Notre Dame or Northwestern or wherever you wanted to go."

"It was Northeastern." He corrected me.

"That's not the point. I didn't drag you anywhere. You used free will to apply to Cal State, and almost stayed there the whole four years. Plus, you deserved to be in prison. You did all of this to yourself."

"Well, I'm doing this for myself then. Maybe in twelve years, we can move somewhere else. But, until then, it's my turn to choose."

"I'm not staying with you for that long, Hayes." I said bluntly as I shook my head at him.

He once again chuckled to himself then nodded his head.

"Can you pull over at a gas station or something? I have to pee."

"I was going to stop at a motel anyways, actually, so you can just use the bathroom there.

"A motel?" I asked.

"Yes. We've been on the road for eight or nine hours, and I haven't slept in about a day."

It was silent for a moment, as this entire situation was finally setting in. He finally got what he wanted, which felt inevitable, but still unreal.

"How did you find us?" I asked.

He shrugged before responding "I just knew."

"Bullshit. How did you track us down?"

"The same way I've been doing it for the last ten years, Gabby." He said as he turned on his indicators and got onto an exit. There was a list of rest stops and motels on the sign. Super 8, Motel 6, Wendy's Bojangles, Waffle House, BP.