SIX

Ms. Neil was sitting in front of me, explaining what happened with her husband, and I could tell she was a wreck.

"He.. he came to drop my oldest son back off at my house, and had a few words for me. He just wants to see me suffer."

"Well, did you record it?" I asked.

"I didn't even have time to. He showed up at my front door with my son unexpectedly."

"This is something I'd never ask anyone to bring up in court, but did your son hear anything?" I asked.

"He always makes sure he doesn't do it in front of our sons. And if he does, me makes sure he's just being passive aggressive about it."

"Text messages? Phone records?" I asked.

"I do have a camera for my front patio that probably caught him scolding me. It wasn't like it was a threat or anything, just degrading words." She rolled her eyes.

"Has he ever threatened you?" I asked.

"Yes, but I know he'd never actually go through with it. He's not capable of that."

"So you've never reported it, no ones ever heard him threaten you?" I trailed off.

"I'm sure my sons have heard a few of our arguments." She seemed so nonchalant.

"How about recently?" I asked.

"It's been more about ruining me than ending me."

"He just wants to put you in a difficult position?" I asked and she nodded.

There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to help her fight this case.

-

When I got home, there was no mail in the mailbox and Jack's car was in the driveway.

When I opened up the front door, he was sitting on the couch, drinking a bud light, watching TV.

"Hey, babe. How are you?" He looked back at me.

"I'm good. How about you?" I asked while closing the door, then walking up to the couch, behind him.

"I'm fine, but you got another letter in the mail." He leaned forward and picked up another envelope. It's my third one in three days.

"Crazy huh?" He handed it to me "You must have to sell a lot of cigarettes and ass to send this many letters." He took another sip of his beer.

"Yeah..."

"But two letters in three days?" I could tell he was deeply bothered by this.

I leaned down and wrapped my arms around him, hugging him.

"He must just be bored, ok?" I tried to reassure him and myself.

"That feels excessive.. even for him. It's usually two, at most three a month."

This is why I don't want to tell him. The last thing I need is the both of us worrying about it.

"And I don't mean to worry you, Gabby, but his sentence is almost up."

I was quickly reminded. It was always in the back of my mind, but as I think about it, I always try to push it back farther.

"Also, don't forget to pay the water bill. I know you forget sometimes." I mentioned.

"Don't try to change the subject. I need to know, are you sure you're doing ok?" He asked "I mean, I know we don't talk about it but I think it might be time to have that conversation." Jack looked back at me.

"Can we just... have that conversation tomorrow?" I asked.

"Yeah.. yeah, of course." He nodded but was hesitant at first.

I stood up straight and walked around the couch so I could sit next to Jack.

I sat right up next to him and he put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me farther into him.

"Hey, what did you do with the other letter?" He asked.

"I threw it away." I flat out lied.

"You didn't want to at least read that one?" He asked.

"Nope."