THIRTY-THREE

it was about 8AM when we got to Jack's parents' house and I was dozing off as we pulled into their driveway.

"Baby, wake up," Jack's voice was raspy as I could tell he was tired too "we're here."

I groaned as I had grown comfortable with the way I was laying in the passenger's side.

"Come on so we can lay down in bed." He lightly patted my thigh.

I let out a sigh then began to unbuckle my seatbelt.

I lazily got out of the car and grabbed my purse and phone charger. I decided to leave the rest of my stuff in the car until morning because I was too tired to get it now.

Jack and I both walked up to the front door, obviously exhausted from our trip. It took about 22 hours to get to Omaha, but we divided up the time so we both drove about the same amount.

Jack lightly knocked on the door, earning some barking in response.

We both laughed to ourselves since we knew it was Jack's dog, Cub. Him and Johnson both got him when they were in their junior year of college but had to give him to Jack's parents before they graduated because they didn't realize how much work having a dog is.

We soon enough heard footsteps nearing the door and their front door opened, revealing David, his dad.

As soon as he saw us, a big smile came on his face.

"I'm so glad you both made it in one piece!" He embraced me in a hug, then Jack.

"Yeah, it's good to be back." Jack also had a big smile on his face.

His dad let us inside and it felt warm compared to the crisp morning air outside.

"Kathrine wanted to stay up so she could see you two when you all got here since we figured you left LA earlier, but she's still fast asleep." David said with a chuckle.

"We'll let her sleep. We've been up driving all day anyways so we'll catch her when we wake up." Jack's raspy voice was starting to show through again.

"You guys can take Jack's old room then," he patted Jack's shoulder "and I will see you both tomorrow." David said and we all parted ways.

Jack and I quietly headed to his old room which was still furnished with his old furniture and as soon as we got in, we plopped down on the bed.

As he stripped down to his briefs and got comfortable, I put my hair up into a bun and started to take my sweatshirt off.

I felt my phone buzz a few times on the night stand so I picked it up.

Gabrielle, tell me where you are now. -Unknown

I've been calling and texting you all fucking day -Unknown

I went to your old house -Unknown

to your new house -Unknown

your old apartment -Unknown

Mackenzie's parents' house -Unknown

Jack's old house -Unknown

I spent my first day of freedom looking for you -Unknown

The least you could do is let me see you -Unknown

I just want to hear your voice -Unknown

Please, baby, just stop hiding from me. -Unknown

If you just answer back now, I promise I won't hurt you. -Unknown

The texts just kept coming and coming so I set my phone down on the bed and put my face in my hands.

He's been texting me all day and I haven't told Jack yet since I didn't want to stress him out on the road.

It's overwhelming to know that he has my number as well as my address and everything else he named off.

My sleepiness turned to restlessness as I played the worst possible scenarios back in my head.

It's like there's just no escape from him. There's no amount of time or even distance that's going to get rid of him.

I felt my stomach churn as I got increasingly nauseas from thinking about all of this.

I let out a groan as I stood up and paced back and forth while taking deep breaths, trying to focus on anything but Hayes or my nausea.

"You ok?" Jack asked, groggily as he sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Mhm" I nodded my head.

"Are you feeling nauseas again?" He asked and I nodded my head again.

"And it's just so hot." I said while fanning myself with my hand.

Jack got up from the side of the bed and walked to the door, and when he came back into the room, he turned on the fan and had a wet washcloth in his hand.

"Did you just start feeling sick?" He wrapped his hands around my waist and started to dab my forehead.

I nodded my head as I at least tried to focus on my breaths instead of pacing at this point.

He pulled my t-shirt over my head so I was left in my bra and leggings, then looped his thumbs in the waistband of my pants and started to pull them down. As I was stepping out of them, I felt my stomach churn again so I let out a groan.

"Here, let's sit down." He began to pull me towards the bed. He sat down, then pulled me into his lap.

"Do you have a headache? Is your body aching?" He asked as he continued to dab my neck and cheeks.

I shook my head as I began to just focus on the sound of his voice.

"Do you think it was just from being in the car too long?" I shook my head 'no'

"New smells? I know that.. sometimes makes you nauseas."

"Hayes texted me today, Jack." I couldn't tell what his reaction to that was since I couldn't see his face, but I dont think it was a good one since there was a moment of silence

"Is that why you're feeling sick?" He set the washcloth down on his knee and put his hands on my thighs as I nodded my head.

"Well, what did he say?" He lightly rubbed his hands up and down my thighs.

"Just... he wanted to know where I am. He said he looked all over town for me." my voice cracked as I felt my eyes well up with tears.

He kissed my shoulder as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Hey, hey, he's not going to find us." Jack's hands moved to my stomach.

"We're safe, Gabby. He doesn't know where we are, we have our restraining orders and we won't be back in LA for a while."

"What makes you think he won't come to us?" I started to catch an attitude.

"Relax," he said softly as he caressed the bottom of my stomach with his thumbs "we are in a safe neighborhood. My parents are here, I'm here. Cub is here," he slightly laughed "you think we would ever let something happen to you?" He asked.

I slightly shook my head "no" and laid my head back on his shoulder.

"Exactly. We're doing everything we can to keep us safe—" Jack was cut off by my phone getting an incoming call from an unknown number.

My eyes welled up with tears again.

"It's ok," he declined the call "It's just a phone call. He still can't get to us." He grabbed a tissue from the nightstand and started to wipe away my tears.

"This is just all so much." I said.

"I know, I know. But we'll be ok, I promise." He reassured me.