SEVENTY-SEVEN

Jack's POV

I sat in silence in the officer's office, wiping my tears away periodically as I still processed the news. I haven't called my parents or her's yet, I really just need a moment.

"If it makes you feel any better, I know what it's like to lose someone real close to you." I looked up at the officer who was looking at me with pity. "My buddy, who you probably saw out front before you walked in, was shot and killed in a traffic stop around the same time your wife went missing." He sighed. "No trace of the bastard who did it anywhere. Didn't even have a real license plate."

His words made me feel worse as he kept going. The last thing I needed was negativity.

"At least I can say that he died trying to protect somebody," I looked back up at the officer who had a lost gaze as he stared down at his desk while he spoke "watching the body cam footage, you'd think he would have gotten her to safety, but the motherfucker who she was with just got out of the car and shot him... I think it was some sort of domestic violence situation. She was... half naked, covered in dirt and didn't even have any shoes on while he cut her off every time she was asked a question–"

"What did you say she was wearing?" My eyebrows furrowed as I looked up again.

"Mm," He hesitated "a bra and un– no, she had on a swim suit. The man she was with said he took her on a late night swim. You could tell the son of a bitch was lying right through his teeth."

"Did she... What did she look like?" I asked.

"She had on a swim suit... Her hair was frizzy–"

"Frizzy or curly?" I cut him off.

"I don't know, she just had big hair." He shrugged.

"It had to be her."

"Who? Your wife?"

"Yes! The fake plates, the swim suit, her hair? There's no way it wasn't."

"We can try to pull the footage for you to identify her." He offered as he walked back around his desk to pick up his phone.

"Where was the location where the officer was murdered in relation to the swamp where they found all of her shit?" I asked.

"A couple of miles up the highway."

"Going North, South, East, West?" I asked, trying to get every detail.

"It was South of where they were. They seemed to be heading Northbound on 95."

"That's the one that runs along the coast, right?" I asked him and he responded by nodding his head.

"So, the site where they found all of her stuff seemed to be their first stop on their trip up 95, and the place they were last seen happened further up the coast since they were already headed North?" I asked.

"Yes." The officer nodded again.

"There's no way they backtracked. This mother fucker would never kill her after doing all of that work just to get to her. She's still alive somewhere. She has to be," I explained to him "Can't you follow all of the speed cameras and security footage to find where they are now?" I asked.

"The department will have to look into it. That would be a lot of time and work–"

"He almost killed me and my son. My newborn son. He's armed and dangerous and will do anything he can to get what he wants. He killed a police officer- your friend-  with no hesitation or remorse, and that's not even the worst he'll do."

The officer thought to himself for a second.

"Don't you want justice for your friend?" He nodded his head.