EIGHTY-TWO

Jack's POV

I yawned again before letting out a sigh and turning up the music on the radio to help wake me up.

I've been driving for hours on end, trying to follow these highway cameras. I'm surrounded by cornfields  and cows, in the middle of Missouri, and I have no idea where this path is taking me. I just hope that Gabby is at the end of it.

As I felt myself dozing off, and my eyelids beginning to get heavy again, my phone started to vibrate on the passenger's seat next to me. It was from an unknown number with a Miami area code.

My eyebrows furrowed together, as I thought about who would be calling me. Maybe my parents or Gabby's parents needed to use someone else's phone.

I picked it up, clearing my voice before I spoke into the phone.

"Hello?" I could tell my voice sounded slightly confused.

"Jack?" I heard a familiar voice ask in a shocked tone. It was Gabby. I nearly swerved my car at the realization. This woke me up. I could feel my heart begin to race, and my eyes widened.

"Gabby?" I nearly yelled "Gabby, is that you?"

"Oh my God, it is you." She sounded so relieved.

"Oh my God, how are you? Where are you? I'm on my way to find you, where are you? I see that this is a Miami number. Are you still there? Do I need to go back?" My foot hit the brakes, causing me to jolt forward. I could barely get my words and thoughts together, as I felt eager to know all of the answers to these questions.

"No, I'm using this girl's phone. Her name is Skylar, she's some UMiami student who's dating this like... Forty-year-old man. I'm somewhere in Montana. I don't know where, but I just found that out like two minutes ago. Please, please, please come get me." Her voice was shaky, yet hushed. Like she was trying not to be heard by someone around her. All I could do was picture her in a closet somewhere, hiding from him.

"I'm in Missouri right now. I've been checking highway cameras trying to track you down. Fuck. I'm coming to get you. Just hold in there for me." I explained, pressing down on the gas, desperate to find my way to Montana.

"I will, I promise I will. I miss you and Drew so much." I could hear her begin to sob.

"We miss you too, baby. I need you to send me your location, ok? Are you using an iphone right now?" I asked, trying to fight back tears as I felt horrible hearing her cry.

"Yeah, hold on." She said, I could sense her taking the phone away from her ear "It's locked. I can't." She spoke into the phone again and I could tell that she was sobbing harder.

"Hey, hey, hey, you're gonna be ok– I'm gonna come get you. I promise." I said as the phone began to cut in and out. I fucking hate the midwest.

"I don't know what to do." She sobbed in a hushed tone.

"What are your surroundings? Is the land flat, what kind of trees do you see? Is it dry?" I asked her, trying to piece together where she could be. Depending on how geographically diverse Montana is, that could give me a general region to start looking at.

"It's raining right now. There are a lot of mountains around us. I'm in a huge white house, and it has big white cement or stone walls that surround it. Um... I see pine trees and.. Regular trees?" I could tell that she was looking for small details within her surroundings.

"Ok, that's perfect. Thank you, Gabby. I'm gonna come get you, ok? I'm gonna call the police and we're gonna find you as fast as we can. I promise." I said as I could feel tears well up in my eyes.