SIXTY-NINE

I sat in the passenger's side with my arms wrapped around my legs so they were against my chest.

We've been driving for about an hour now, and I have absolutely no idea where he's taking me. It could be in or out of state. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't plan on telling me.

At some point, I finally stopped crying.

My mind was stuck on what Jack and Drew were doing right now. If Jack was ok, if police had found them, if Drew was still crying

I looked up at the highway signs, seeing a sign that said "West Palm Beach'' with the word "North" above it. We haven't gotten too far from Miami, but we're far enough.

I rested my temple on my knee as I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep or something.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, breaking the ongoing silence.

I didn't answer him, and just continued on, trying to fall asleep.

"You can ignore me all you want, but you gotta live with me." I could hear the amusement in his voice as he spoke.

"Go to hell." I muttered.

"That wasn't very nice." He responded.

"Fuck you."

"I'm sorry that you have the communication skills of an adolescent, but I had to stop being so fucking nice to you, Gabby. You'll never understand or learn to listen if I continue to treat you the way I previously have."

"And how great did you previously treat me?" I looked over at him.

"There's her beautiful face." He grinned at the sight of my tear-stained cheeks and puffy eyes.

I rolled my eyes and rested my chin on my knees

"I let so much shit slide. Even when you stepped out of line, I let it go because I knew this day would eventually come."

"Oh so you think you did good because you waited to take me away from my family, shoot my husband and break his leg in the most brutal way possible, and leave my son crying? You know, I really think you should win the next Nobel Peace Prize. Hats off to you, Hayes."

"And I put up with your little attitude problem all the time too." He scoffed.

"You don't even let shit slide. You terrorized us for like a year and harrassed us for damn-near a decade now."

"I left you all alone for a few months."

"You faked your own death."

"Your unfaithful husband tried to kill me."

"I wish he fucking did."

"I bet you do." He responded before the car went silent again.

After a few moments of sitting in silence, I spoke again.

"Hayes, are you going to kill me?" I asked in a blunt tone.

"Mm," He took a second to think about it "I don't know yet."

"You sounded pretty confident in that voicemail." I stretched out my legs so I was no longer balled up in my seat.

He chuckled before responding.

"I spoke out of anger."

"You seemed to be dead set on it though. You said you hate me and that I'm dead to you."

"Did that hurt your feelings?" He glanced over at me before looking back to the road.

"No," I shrugged, "You've just never said that to me before."