SEVENTY-FIVE

I stirred awake as I was jerked around in my seat, opening my eyes to an open road. The view out of the front windshield was of a clear blue sky. No trees or mountain ranges ahead of us. Just open land.

I sat up to get a better view, and we were completely surrounded by some sort of crops. Just acres and acres of crops.

"Did you sleep well?" Hayes' voice broke the complete silence in the car.

"Are we close to our final destination? Is this the spectacular place or state you wanted to drag me out to so bad?" You could hear the genuine concern in my voice.

"Maybe." He shrugged as he chuckled, entertained by the distressed tone in my voice "You could learn to love it out here."

"Where the hell are we? Kansas?" I looked over at him to see the sleep deprived features on his face that had developed over the last few days. His red eyes, dark circles under them, the short scruffle that had developed under his chin and around the lower half of his cheeks.

"We are in the Midwest, but not that far West."

"Are we going West?" I asked.

"Maybe." He shrugged.

"Will you just tell me?" I rolled my eyes, expressing my disdain for his ambiguous answers.

"I told you I will not be telling you where we're going. I think the mystery makes it more fun."

I side eyed him, annoyed that he would even say that.

"It does not." I said bluntly.

There was a pause in the conversation, so the car went silent again.

"I'm surprised you haven't pulled over yet. It's pretty bright outside."

"No ones really on the road." He said with a yawn.

"So? You seem pretty tired."

"Yeah, that little pitstop we made threw us off, so we have to drive a little extra today."

"I mean, theres no rush to get there though. The house is always gonna be there when we get back."

"In the words of someone who just wants to stall their way out of this."

"No," I shrugged "I would just rather you get some rest than drive while you're sleepy."

"I'm fine, but thanks for the concern." He said before there was another pause in the conversation.

"Hayes?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"Is where we're going warm?"

"Mmm... Yeah." He shrugged his shoulders.

"You didn't seem too confident in that answer."

"Well, it can be warm."

"So, it's not the SouthWest?"

"I don't know." He shrugged "Even the desert gets cold, Gabby."

"Can you please just tell me." I rolled my eyes.

"You will see when we get there."

"Ok, well... Can you at least tell me what it's gonna be like when we get there? What next?" I looked over to him to see a smile form on his face as he thought about his answer.

"It's gonna be great, Gabby." He shook his head in satisfaction.

As he continued to think about it, his grip on the wheel lightened up and his shoulders relaxed. He seemed like he was in a euphoric state just thinking about it.