THIRTY-NINE

Jack and I drove home in silence to get the documents I left while running out the day before.

I picked at my nails, as I was anxious to re-enter the house, knowing Hayes would probably be there again.

We pulled up to the driveway, and Jack turned the car off.

"Ok," he began to open up his door "I'll be right back—"

"What are you doing?" I asked, cutting him off.

"Getting your documents. That's why we're here."

"Jack, I'll go get them. You don't even know what they look like." I put my hand on the handle only for jack to lock the door.

"He might be in there. You're not going." He said sternly.

"Jack, yes I am. Just unlock the door."

"No." He said bluntly while getting out.

"How are you supposed to know what to get if you don't know what documents I need?" I asked.

"What do they look like?" He asked.

"I can't tell you. It's confidential." I lied.

"Then I'll go with you."

"Jack, just stay in the car. I need a getaway driver anyways," I joked but he didn't seem amused "just trust me, ok Jack? I will be fine. And I'll yell or something if I'm in trouble."

He let out a sigh in exasperation as he got back into the car and shut the door.

"If you're not back in five minutes, I'm going in myself." He said then started the car, rolled down the windows and unlocked the car before taking them right back out and handing them to me so I had the house key.

"I'll be right back." I kissed his cheek then got out.

I walked up the driveway and up the pathway to the porch before hesitantly opening the front door. It made a creaking noise, causing me to wince, but I walked in and closed the door behind me.

I looked around and nobody was there, so I silently snuck over to the office.

As soon as I got in there, I started searching for my papers again, and as I got to the last filing cabinet, I heard the door shut behind me.

I froze as I heard the lock click on the door, which can only be locked from the inside.

"Gabby." I heard him say in an airy voice.

I turned around to see a pair of bright blue eyes staring right back at me from across the room.

He had on a pair of shorts with a black t-shirt, and he looked like he had been working out from the size of his arms and the way the shirt clung to his body.

My breath hitched as I stood there, staring right back at him.

"Breathe, baby. I'm not going to hurt you." He chuckled as he started to slowly strut towards me "I've waited so long to finally see you." He sounded relieved as he continued on.

I still stood there staring back at him, stunned as he gradually got closer.

"Come on, say something." He chuckled as he stepped inches in front of me.

He towered over me as he gently pulled me into him by my waist and I could feel tears threatening to leave my eyes as I smelled the familiar scent of his cologne.

"No 'hello' or 'how are you?'" He lifted my chin up with his index finger so I would make eye contact with him but I only looked right past him.

"Jack is outside... Waiting for me," I said quietly and his eyebrows slightly raised "he said that if I'm not back in five minutes, he's coming in here."