Chapter 21: Rival

Megumi sliced, you diced, and Nobara rammed. All three of you attacked different holes containing small curses that you all came across earlier.

Y/n sped up her attacks, swinging her sword left to right, up and down. Her relentless attacks made it to all side of curses that she assigned herself. Constant hollering from the curses were only music to her ears. It meant that her friends were also doing a good job, making sure to take down each and every last one.

After double checking you got them all you jogged to Megumi's and Nobara's side to help out with stragglers.

"Need help?" You ask gaining their attention. They turn around to your voice and nod.

"We just pretend like it's wack-a-mole right?" Nobara asks setting her hammer on her shoulder.

"Yea just keep crushing their exits for me. It probably won't fight back." Megumi states also having his black blade rested on his shoulder.

"The main body is such a pain in the ass. It might not be able to fight with its constant attacks wide ranged tho." You say surveying the area.

Megumi seemed lost in thought for a moment staring at nothing. Then out of no where, Nobara is being dragged into what seemed like a black portal.

"KUGISAKI!" You and Megumi yell. You both reach out for her hoping to at least grip her uniform to drag her back out.

"Don't worry. Just keep wacking those moles." Kugisaki says calmly pointing at you two. She's then fully submerges into the portal leaving you and Megumi to grab onto nothing.

"Damn" both you and Megumi curse.

"Why does she keep getting sucked in every where." Megumi asks himself, grimacing.

"That was an outside force. It didn't feel like any of the curses we've come across." You say walking up to another "mole" and slicing it up along with others. Megumi just clicks his toungue.

"Huh? Older brother? Wait for me!" The curse Itadori was fighting says before also jumping into the portal.

"Hey!" Itadori calls out to it. "It ran away? Should I follow it?"

"Itadori keep after it! Kugisaki and that thing are outside the barrier! She might be up against something much bigger than we anticipated! Me and Y/n will take care of things here! Go Kugisaki is the priority!" Megumi shouts

"If you two get into trouble, get out too!" Itadori says before stepping into the black void.

Megumi and yourself wave him off. Now getting back to work in finishing off the last curses in the domain.

You twist your body as far as you can and swing with all your might, exorcising many curses simultaneously. You wipe sweat off your brow and look for Megumi who seems to be taking on the last of them.

"Your surprise attack is too simple." You hear him say. He swings his sword down on it but doesn't touch it since it switched exits.

You get ready to take it down but hear Megumi speak again. "Like I said, too simple."

Megumi's merged demon dog "kon" then destroys it cleanly.

"You seem to be getting better Megumi." You say petting his demon dog. He stares at your physique and thinks back to when you and Maki sparred during your first meeting.

"I told you I'm not her type. How am I supposed to be her rival?" Megumi asks solemnly

"Believe in your own power Fushiguro, you're a lot stronger than you think. I'm sure you'll meet my standards soon." You say