Chapter 68: Nothing but rocks

"Have you heard? About that tourist?"

"The glowing cave..."

"It was horrible..."

Whispers traveled throughout the whole village in waves. Everyone was either listening or talking about it, and it wasn't much different on Deidamia's end.

"He was in there for months but suddenly he..." Aster sat next to Deidamia as they ate lunch in their humble abode.

"Maybe he found what he was looking for in those caves but..." Deidamia leans in to whisper ominously, "it didn't want to be found."

Aster's face turned pale. "Don't joke about things like this!" She slaps her shoulder. "What if it's a wild animal that's on the loose."

"Dear, whatever happened to that poor man wasn't caused by a mere animal." Deidamia reassured, yet what she was insinuating was probably worse.

The tourist with (e/c) eyes and (h/c) strands of messy hair was in basic terms, ripped to shreds.  His blood painted the walls of the caves, deep inside, even on the ceiling.

But for some reason, Deidamia was not disturbed in the slightest, as if this was a daily occurrence and everyone should shrug their shoulders and go on about their day.

On the other hand, Aster could hardly stomach food at the moment.

Deidamia watches her partner chew slowly from her dumpling soup, Aster's posture indicating she's going to throw up.

Her hand catches Aster's, prompting the latter to follow her to a clean bucket. She empties out her stomach with a somewhat agonizing pain each time she wretched from her gut.

She gasps slightly.

"I'm terrified. Something is wrong with those caves that it makes me sick thinking about it." Aster confesses. "We live so close to them what if it brings harm to us?"

"It's nothing but rocks, not some sort of curse." Deidamia hugs her beloved. "You believe me when I say I won't let anything happen to you, correct?"

Aster nods immediately. "Yes."

"