zone 32: broken

Jeongin's POV

I make it outside onto the field where everyone is for the community gathering. I meet eyes with Sana who is talking to Mina. She notices me and waves for me to come over.

"So tell me why I didn't see you, Felix, Hyunjin, or Wonyoung the whole day," Sana interrogates me. I sigh and rub my face.

"I can't tell you the specifics," I say, remembering that the special powers of immunes is a secret. "Let's just say that Felix snuck out and the rest of us were there to make sure he didn't do anything stupid," I explain. Sana nods.

"Did Wonyoung do anything?" Sana asks. I think back to what happened today and remember the conversation I was having with her on the walk home.

"I asked her about her relationship with Hyunjin and she seemed very suspicious with her answers," I recall.

"How suspicious?" Mina asks.

"Well..."

*flashback*

"Do you really think Felix has a special power?" Wonyoung asks me as we trail behind the newcomers and Felix and Hyunjin. I shrug and kick a few rocks out of my way as we walk.

"He seems very determined and when Felix is determined, he is hard to stop," I explain. "How's... you and Hyunjin?" I ask, trying to get information on them like how Sana wanted me to.

"We're good," Wonyoung says with uncertainty. "He's just so busy with missions and stuff so..." Her voice trails off and I nod, noticing how she is making up weird excuses. "He's also always writing out his feelings rather than telling me, I guess that's one flaw in our relationship."

"Yeah, Hyunjin can be like that sometimes," I say, knowing he is bad at expressing his feelings and opening up. "It's because he had trouble trusting people," I say. "He's still having trouble now... so..." I hint, hoping she is getting that she shouldn't sabotage Hana is she wants to keep Hyunjin's trust.

"He trusts me," Wonyoung begins to act defensive. "Don't worry, he trusts me," she repeats and then walks away from me.

*flashback ends*

"Yikes," Mina says. "It sounds like she is trying to convince herself that Hyunjin trusts her but it seems like he doesn't," Mina comments. Sana nods and think deeply on this.

"He's known to be closed off. The only person that he opens up to is people who really trusts like me or Changbin or Jisung..." I list.

"Or Hana?" Sana asks and I realize why Wonyoung is so jealous of Hana. It's not because she's threatened by her trying to take back Hyunjin, it's the fact that she has Hyunjin's trust and she knows she can't compete.

Hana's POV

Jae is operating on Wonpil's foot now. Luckily, Jinyoung caught him before he took more shots so he is sober enough to get the bullet out of Wonpil's foot. I wait anxiously outside on a chair as I hold the rubber duck in my hand.

I stare at it for a while and remember Chan again. I feel my heart sink, remembering that one of these rooms was where he was beaten to turn. One of these rooms was where his zombified self tried to kill me. I sigh and look back down at the rubber duck. I hear someone sit beside me and look up to see Wonyoung. My eyes grow wide in surprise by her presence.

"Hi," I greet awkwardly but notice the rude look on Wonyoung's face.

"I tried to be nice," Wonyoung says, letting out a deep breath. "I tried to put on a show for Hyunjin and act like I'm okay with you being here but I'm not." I tighten my grip on the rubber ducky in my hand as Wonyoung talks down on me. "I know you two have history. I know you still love him but he's with me now," Wonyoung says, glaring at me. "I'm the one he chose. Doesn't that tell you anything?" I stay silent. "It means back off," Wonyoung pesters. I scoff and click my tongue against my cheek. She's so childish. I haven't even done anything.