zone 1: thoughts

[towards the end of suffering

i go]

three years after Hana was taken...

Hyunjin's POV

I stare out my window as I watch little kids run around in the quad and adults talking to one another while doing some chores around the safe zone. I sigh, flicking my lighter on and off with a cigarette in my mouth. There is a knock at my door. I turn my head slowly.

"It's open." I say in a deep voice. The head of a familiar friend pops in but his smile fades once he sees me smoking.

"Hyunjin-ah, I told you to stop smoking. It's bad for your lungs."

Felix snatches the cigarette out of my mouth and grabs the box of cigarettes on my dresser. He shakes his head and stuffs them in his pockets to throw out later. I scoff and get up from my chair.

"What do you need?" I breathe out.

"Jinyoung is here to collect some fruits from our farm. Do you want to say hi?" Felix asks.

Every month, Jinyoung pays a visit to collect some liabilities we owe him since our base is a subsidary of the Sanctuary which he now runs. I like seeing him since he is like an older brother to me. These past years I've been down in the dumps. It's probably obvious as to why I am. I lost hope. I lost what gave me happiness.

I follow Felix out of the apartment building and towards the small farm we have where we grow our crops for food. I see Jinyoung talking with Changbin and Jisung and try to smile. Jinyoung waves and brings me into a hug which makes me feel somewhat guilty as to how bad I've been acting recently.

"How are you dude?" Jinyoung asks, carrying a watermelon in his hand. I glance at my other friends who eye me with watchful looks.

"Hanging in there." I say, trying to not worry Jinyoung too much. Jinyoung nods but notices something is off no matter how hard I try to hide my emotions.

"Can I talk to you alone, actually?"

Jinyoung looks at the rest of my friends who catch the signal. They all nod and leave Jinyoung and I. I let out a deep breath, knowing Jinyoung is going to have a talk with me.

"What's up?" I ask and Jinyoung sighs.

"It's been three years." Jinyoung says, knowing what is coming up. I nod and stare at the ground, kicking the dirt under my feet. "It's okay to still feel sad." I feel a lump in my throat as I try to speak. "Hana is in a better place. I know you know that but no matter how hard it is to move on with your life, Hana would want you to move on. She would want you to live life to the fullest and to stop moping on about her, right?"

A tear rolls down my face as I remember the exact words Hana told me.

*flashback*

"I'm not crying." I deny but it's obvious that I am. "Just... don't leave me again... okay?"