zone 16: breach

[towards the end of a hardship

i go]

Hana's POV

I regain my hearing and the smoke slowly clears but Hyunjin is gone. A sense of regret and emptiness resides in my heart as I look around through the chaos. Trees and buildings burn with people coughing and blood everywhere. What have I done?

Someone grabs me and rushes me into an empty building.

"Taeyong?" I greet him and he covers my mouth.

"You're lucky I'm SM's favorite." He whispers. "He has the rest of our friend's hostage. I'm so sorry about what's happening. He found out you were gone in the middle of the night and now he's out for blood."

"How do we stop this?" I ask.

"We have a plan," Taeyong says. "Just make sure your friends are safe. We'll take care of this."

"So blowing up District 9 is taking care of it?" I question.

"We have most of the community on your side. All of us can't be stopped by him." Taeyong says.

"Mutiny?" I ask and Taeyong nods. I fist-bump him to gratify his plan.

Felix's POV

"What about that lady?" Lucy asks. That lady who is your mom.

"She will be fine, hopefully," I say. Jeongin runs up to me.

"Where's Hana? Where's Hyunjin?" Jeongin asks.

"They're still out there," I say.

"They're going to get hurt!" Jeongin says anxiously.

"They can handle themselves. I know they can." I say with a little less confidence and then squeeze Lucy's hand. I kneel down to face her and sigh.

"Go hang out with Tzuyu and Sana over there, okay," I tell Lucy and she complies, running over to them who are in the corner of the bomb shelter.

Another bomb sounds off, scaring everyone inside and shaking the lights dangling from the ceiling.

"I don't think they'll be okay, Felix." Jeongin shakes his head nervously. I stare at his glossy eyes and hesitate on whether or not I should look for them out there. It's a warzone out there.

Hana's POV

I run over to one of the jeeps that SM has and kill the four guards on it. I take the driver's seat and look around for a safe place to park the car. I notice Jihyo coughing on the ground with fog around us. I drive over to her and jump out of the car to help her up.

"You should- be-in the bomb shelter." Jihyo coughs.

"I think you should be, Jihyo," I say and carry her onto the jeep. "Have you seen Hyunjin?" She shakes her head and I notice a water bottle in the backseat and hand it to her. She glugs the bottle as I drive down towards one of the towers near the entrance.

"What are you doing?" Jihyo asks. I park the car behind a tree near the watchtower. I start searching for something in the compartments.

"I need to get SM's attention," I say.

"Hana... you can't." Jihyo tries to stop me and I pull out a flare gun from under the driver's chair.

"Trust me," I say and then climb up to the top of the watchtower.

The view of District 9 was not the scenic, safe place it was before. Now, it's filled with smoke and debris. Fires spread from tree to tree and people are running for their lives. I cover my mouth and begin to tear up. What have I done? I look down at the flare gun in my hand and load it. I sigh and let out a deep breath before I aim the gun in the air and trigger it. The flare shoots up into the sky, alarming everyone nearby. The smoke slowly clears and I see SM and his army in jeeps.

"There she is." I hear him with my super hearing. I feel rage in my chest. "Why don't you come down, special one?" He knows I can hear him. I stay put. "You see what happens when you escape. All hell breaks loose. I don't kid. Now unless you want the rest of this poor place to be obliterated into tiny pieces, you should come back home with us where you belong."

I scoff and then follow his command willingly. I climb down the towers and stand in front of the main entrance, waiting for them to drive over to me. I notice Yuta in one of the jeeps with ropes tying his wrists together and sigh.

"That's a good girl." SM nods his head and steps off his jeep. He walks over to me and I stay still. I keep looking forward without making eye contact with him and zip my lips closed. "This is your fault by the way. All of this mess. You caused all of it." He whispers. I don't react and stay silent. "Tie her up."

SM snaps his fingers and two guards run up to me with a rope until they are both shot dead by flying arrows. I look around and look up to see Changbin. I smile in celebration and then Changbin ducks his head back down from the roof so he wouldn't be seen.

"What are you up to?" SM walks back over to me, getting angrier. I stay silent again. "Alright, if you won't talk, I'll make you talk." I glance over at Yuta nervously who exchanges the look. Expecting to see one of my friends from SM town, I feel my palms get sweaty. Four army men hold someone with a bag over their head but I already knew who it was by the clothing. My eyes grow wide and my heart beats exceptionally fast.

"I'LL TALK!" I say immediately and SM smirks.

"We found your greatest weakness," SM says evilly. The bag is removed, revealing Hyunjin. His tired eyes and bruises on his face make me tear up. I try not to run towards him.

"I'll talk, just let him go." I say.

"No, I can't do that," SM says. "Because now I know what truly controls you. You see, my fantastic plan of you believe that all of your friends were dead allowed me to do whatever I wanted to do with you because you had no purpose in life. Now, you know that they're still alive and that's not good." SM clocks a pistol in his hand and I speed over to him and push him down to the ground.

"Don't shoot him," I beg. SM rolls his shoulder as if he dislocated it and now all army men are aiming at me. SM laughs at me and slowly gets up. I look around anxiously and then back at Hyunjin who looks a little dazed. They must've given him anesthesia.

"Aw, you're so in love." SM mocks me. "If only you had his child, it would make it even better." I stay silent and look back at Hyunjin who is slowly closing his eyes.

"I'll go back with you," I say. "Okay, I'll go back and you can have top-level security on me just do not hurt my friends, or else I will kill myself so you will have no cure."

"You would never do such a thing. Putting the whole world at risk for your own happiness, that is selfish, isn't it?" SM provokes.

I stutter and look around at the people in front of me.

They wear blank stares communicating their silent agreement. How selfish can I be? The fires, the injured men and women, Hyunjin. This is all me. Suddenly an arrow strikes SM causing him to collapse. Everyone looks around in panic and shock as if time froze. I watch as SM falls down on his knees holding the arrow pierced through his right shoulder. While everyone was distracted, I see Felix rush at superhuman speed and grab Hyunjin out of there. I look at my friends from SM Town who are baffled by the sight of SM. I glance up to see Changbin tipping his imaginary hat and I nod at him thankfully.

"Kill them! Kill them all!" SM orders before blacking out. The guards all look at me and then at my friends. I hold my breath realizing what might happen next.