zone 36: crossed

Hyunjin's POV

Last night after I saw Jaehyun and Hana, I finally built up the courage to break up with Wonyoung and face my true feelings for Hana. I love Hana. She's the one I want to be with even after all of this time and I don't want to lose her. Not now, not ever.

"You fucking jerk, Hwang Hyunjin," Wonyoung pesters, wiping her tears from her eyes.

I watch her sulk silently, not knowing if I should comfort her or not since we just broke up.

"It's because of Hana, isn't it?" She asks straightforwardly. "I knew it! Ever since she came back, you have never cared about me since!"

I stutter, flustered by her sudden inference of me breaking up with her because of Hana. Although she is right, I don't want Wonyoung to blame Hana or drag her into this when it is completely my own fault and feelings that caused us to break up.

When I told Wonyoung last night that we should break up, she didn't handle it well obviously. She kept saying how she can be better and begged me to stay but I knew that my feelings for her weren't like the ones I get when I see Hana. Deep down, I felt like she knew I still had feelings for Hana but didn't want to bring it up because she was scared. I guess she finally cracked and is done with avoiding it.

"Hyunjin, I know this is all because of her," Wonyoung continues, not letting me speak. "You know what? Fine, be with her but I'm not staying here to watch," Wonyoung crosses her arms and storms off, heading towards the main lobby.

I stand still for a few seconds to try and figure out what she meant and then realize she is going to leave the Sanctuary. My eyes grow wide in disbelief and I run after her. I can't be responsible for Wonyoung being in danger out there. I still care about her even if we are broken up and I don't want to lose another person. I catch Wonyoung as she walks towards the exit and grab her arm.

"Wonyoung, wait," I stop her and she freezes, not looking at me. She removes her arm from my hold and scoffs.

"Don't," she mutters and continues out the door. I watch her leave and hesitate on following her.

I have to meet up with Yeji and everyone else though so we can tell Lucy though. I check the sun's position in the sky and see that it is nearing sunset. I still have time. I can't let Wonyoung leave without any weapon or anything for that matter. Has this girl gone crazy? She will die out there in an instant. I sigh and follow her out to stop her again.

Hana's POV

I meet Yeji outside her door and watch as she anxiously paces back and forth. It's time to tell her.

"She's inside," Yeji whispers, and I notice how glossy her eyes are. I hold her hands and she breathes steadily, trying to calm down.

"We'll be fine. She will be fine," I say, feeling like Lucy already is onto something.

"Where's Young K and Hyunjin?" I ask, hoping that they are all ready as well. "Are they nervous?"

"Young K is inside with Lucy right now. He's trying to stay calm," Yeji explains. "I don't know where Hyunjin is," Yeji shrugs which alarms me. "Where is he by the way?" Yeji asks, assuming I would know where he is.

I tilt my head in confusion and let go of Yeji's hands. We can't tell her without Hyunjin. Something is off. Hyunjin wouldn't bail on telling Lucy, not after everything with the zombie pen.

"I don't know, I thought he would already be here," I say, puzzled by his sudden disappearance. "I'll go check if he's still in his room."

I leave the hallway and walk over to Hyunjin's room. I try to hear for a heartbeat but don't hear anything. I knock on the door to double-check and get no response. I feel a bad feeling in my stomach and start to worry more. I furrow my eyebrows, trying to think of anywhere else he would be. I run over to Jeongin's room and knock on his door. He opens it with tired eyes and I realize I was interrupting his nap.