Gardening

Chloe was on her hands and knees working on the garden. She'd thought the landlord was going to keep up the yard, but apparently it was her job. No wonder this apartment had been actually affordable. She was in old jeans and a flannel, rolled up to her elbows with her hands protected by gardening gloves. She actually kind of enjoyed gardening, although she hated bugs. I was silly really, her aversion to bugs. I mean, she's a homicide detective. She sees human corpses, killed in ways that would make any normal person sick on the daily, but she flinched away from a worm. She sighed as she heard someone walk up behind her, 

"Detective? Why are you on the ground?" Lucifer could almost hear her roll her eyes, 

"I'm gardening." 

"Why?" He sounded genuinely puzzled. Chloe felt a giggle bubble up deep in her stomach but forced it down, 

"If I don't do it, no one will and it looked...dead." 

"If you'd like, I can get you a gardener." She rolled back, sitting on her feet. 

"I dont need a gardener. I need to get this done." Lucifer smiled, 

"Surely that's not what you really desire to do," 

"Lucifer, don't try it. It doesn't matter what I want to do, this is what must be done." He pulled her to her feet, 

"Yes darling, but you're dating the devil," He gave her a small kiss as a greeting as they had skipped hello, "you shouldn't have to do anything you don't want to." She just hmmed in return, studying his face. It was so hard to focus around him, even if Chloe Decker was usually the responsible adult type. She kissed him again, 

"I don't need a gardener, I need to finish what I started," Chloe stated, stubborn as ever. Lucifer smiled warmly, letting her go. She got back down on her knees and resumed digging. He watched her for a moment then sighed dramatically, 

"Fine. How can I help, Detective?" She turned to look at him, surprised, 

"Really?" He nodded impatiently and she responded with  list of the things she needed to do in the yard, then what she thought Lucifer should do. He simply nodded and began to walk away. 

"Lucifer, where are you going?" 

"I'll be right back, Love. Cant exactly work in the dirt wearing Prada." She rolled her eyes and got back to work. She heard his car drive off and it was her turn to sigh. Of course he left. He was Lucifer. Once the devil, always the devil.

 About 10min later, much to Chloe's surprise, Lucifer pulled back up. This time in jean and a plain black teeshirt. Chloe stared at him openmouthed. She hadn't seen him wear anything but a suit or a robe in the 5+ years she'd known him. His fit frame took her breath away and she found herself practically drooling. 

Lucifer hadn't noticed Chloe watching him until he'd been fully out of his car and walking towards her, upon noticing her intense stare, he stopped in his tracks. 

"Is something wrong?" Lucifer's smooth British accent brought Chloe back to reality. He mouth snapped shut. 

"n-no, I just, uh um," she cleared her throat but her voice still came out tight and flustered, "nothing's wrong." Realization hit Lucifer and he almost laughed, 

"Like this outfit, do you?" he asked, humor coloring his tone. She glared at him playfully. 

"Just get to work. There's a bucket and gloves over there if you could start by getting some leaves out of the side flowerbed. He did as he was told, finishing the leaves fairly quickly, moving on to removing dead plants, tilling, and planting new flowers. Chloe on the other hand had barely gotten any work done. Every time she stared something, she would distracted by Lucifer and his biceps; the sweat glistening off his face and body, making him shimmer in the sunlight or  his pitch colored hair falling into his face, making him look adorably disheveled. Even more adorable when he wiped the back of his palm across his face and smeared a bit of dirt on his forehead and cheeks. She always caught herself before Lucifer could notice and went back to work but it would only last a moment. The sun would catch his shirt at just the right angle to show off his carved abs or he would smile the tiniest bit while helping a flower back upright and she would be mesmerized by how strong his gentleness was. 

Luckily for Chloe, Lucifer was much better at focusing and while Chloe would catch his eye and he'd fid himself admiring her scrunched up hard-work face or the way her hair would catch in the sun and shine like gold, he had been focusing through that for years and after only a few hours, the yard work was complete. He helped her set up a sprinkler to water them, even though he had no idea how any of that worked. Of course, the last time he'd been in a garden was years ago and he had simply helped someone carry water from their well to their small cottage so his confusion was called for. 

When they finally got to go inside, Chloe was surprised to find Lucifer was barley sweating. She on the other hand was positively drenched in sweat. He gave her a quick kiss anyway and went to fetch her some water. 

"Why aren't you more...sweat and gross?" 

"Hell is much hotter and much more gruesome work wise than 3 hours in a garden in LA." Chloe laughed, more out of obligation than amusement. Then she had an idea. Smirking at him, she got up and walked over. She stood on her tippy toes to reach his head and ran her finger through his hair. 

"Mm, well I guess if you don't need a shower, I'll have to take one without you." She kissed the tip of his nose and turned to run off. Before she got far, she felt his muscly arm wrap around her waist, catching her. She giggled like a little kid and twisted out of his grip, pulling him into the bathroom. It was out of character for her to act this immature, but with Lucifer it was different. She could act however she wanted and he would still look at her with pure adoration. He made her vulnerable. 

Chloes teasing had led to an insufficient amount of shower but a good three rounds for her a Lucifer. They some how had ended up on the bed. She was laying on his chest and they were both panting a bit. Chloe more so of course, but she was human. 

"Love, I think we're going to need another shower." She laughed and looked up, part of his face coming into view. 

"Separately this time so we actually do some showering." He hmmed in disappointment, 

"Besides, Trixie's going to be home soon," she continued, "you should shower first, it's less weird for her to find me showering than to find you showering." Lucifer snorted, 

"You shower. I'll be fine, Love." She cocked her head at him, 

"You'll smell like sweat though," he raised an eyebrow at her, 

"Have I ever smelled like sweat before?" Chloe was thoroughly confused. Lucifer always smelled like whiskey and nighttime. He hadn't even smelt like blood the numerous times he'd taken a bullet or a knife for her. He smiled at her confusion and gave her a small kiss, 

"We can go over the Devil thing again if you'd like." She laughed, 

"Alright, fine. One of your suits is hanging in the closet from our last..erm..sleepover." He gave her a smile and went to change into the suit and prepare sustenance for Trixie when she got out of school.