The Song

Lucifer remembered the day Chloe had first kissed him. How baffled he had been at her returned actions. He'd told her how good she was and how bad he was. Admitted how bad, dangerous, and unworthy he was. He'd gone home that evening and sat at his piano. It was still too early to open LUX and the whole building was filled with an eerie quiet. Still, he chose to go up the penthouse. He'd turned the days event over and over in his head until they fell into a sort of song. Just a string of notes really. 

It started soft and medium, rising as his heart rate had as Chloe had walked up to him at the beach. It was high and light as she joked in his memories, then it slipped into confused as he admitted he would stop trying for moments with her. It contrasted between light and dark as he told Chloe how wonderful she was while simultaneously showing her how not worth it he was and finally, the song his it's climax at the kiss, then relaxing into the first few notes of heart and soul, which he accelerated and manipulated into a determined, brave, generous, and beautiful few bars, representing perfectly the woman he hadn't known he loved. It faded there, trailing off, unfinished. 

Now though, Lucifer thought he could finish it. Their story had currently progressed since then. They lived in a house on the beach, small but exquisite, with Trixie, whom Lucifer had unofficially adopted as his own. The notes that made up here were bouncier and smoother than her mothers but they held the same bravery and strength that lead perfectly into the next lines.

Chloe and Lucifer's son, Jude. Judes name had a been hard to choose. They wanted something that had Chloe's father represented, hence the J name, something bold, but not too harsh. Something like the perfect song. Chloe and her terrible taste in music had lead her and Lucifer to looking at the Beatles, a band she and Lucifer actually agreed were wonderful. They'd decided on Jude because of the song. Specifically the lyrics, 

"And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain, don't carry the world upon your shoulders. For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder."

Lucifer started Judes line there, at that Beatles song, but slower. Jude was a happy kid, matching the bounce from Trixie's bars, but his were quieter, softer. He was sensitive and creative, his brain always working. His bars matched the defectiveness in Chloes, but they also mirrored the waywardness of his father. 

Lucifer faded Jude into Maze. While Jude was soft in every way, Maze was hard and fast. Determined, strong, and bold, but under all that, sadness. Lucifer played the way Maze always compartmentalized. Forced all her emotions into anger because she didn't know how else to deal with but, but he also played how she was always there. She was loyal. She was strong. 

Finally it was tie for Lucifer to play himself. For the first time he paused, but his fingers resisted, reaching back towards the keys. He was low on the scale. Evil, dangerous, unworthy. He covered this though with too high notes. The mask he'd been wearing since he was in heaven. He played Chloe again and slowly lowered the notes of the mask and heightened the notes of the sad ever so slightly. Then he played Trixie, again lowering his mask, his happiness rising. Then Jude, the same thing with his string of notes. He intertwined all the bars, weaving them together into one coherent piece of music. The beach moment, his first kiss with the amazing mortal woman he wanted to spend the rest of eternity with was the intro,  it lead into Trixie, then Maze, then Jude, and finally he laid them once more and finally the song was complete. One word echoed in his head as the last few notes resounded in the room. Family. 

a/n again, this is really short and I'm sorry. I'm working on something bigger and it's taking time.  Anyway, I hope you enjoyed.