Chapter 13

TW: mentions rape

There were heavy footsteps down the stairs, Kuvira coming down. She looked confused for a moment but then her eyes widened when she realized who Korra was hugging. Yasuko was still crying.

"Asami....?" Kuvira asked, eyes wide in disbelief that she was really here.

Asami nodded and held her other arm open, Kuvira rushed in and hugged her. Jinora joined them.

"C'mere Naga....." Kaia gave sat down on the steps and put her hands out. Naga continued to bark at Asami. "Naga, shhh. Come here, t-tell me what's wrong."

Naga stopped barking and walked over to her. She hung her head and looked at Kaia then to Asami multiple times, whimpering whenever her gaze turned to the older woman.

Kaia looked at the tall woman suspiciously. She was only wearing a raggedy dirty white tanktop and torn sweatpants, the skin that Kaia could see was either bruised or bloody.

Then they made eye contact.

Her eyes....

They were still green. But something wasn't quite right about the way they looked though she couldn't put her finger on it. And her aura. Kaia never felt Asami before since she didn't have waterbending before she got kidnapped, but she was sure it wasn't supposed to feel like that.

It was dark and twisted, it was so broken that Kaia felt an unpleasant shudder up her spine.

"Mama!" Yasuko squirmed to get into Korra's arms, and Korra grabbed her and showered her face with kisses while she grabbed her.

Yasuko seemed happy for a moment but then when she looked at Asami her lower lip began to quiver out of....fear.

Then it dawned on Kaia. Yasuko wasn't just trying to get into Korra's arms, she was trying to get out of Asami's, she was the only one who knew what happened to Asami but sadly she was too young to talk.

Kaia pulled Naga's head into her lap and began to stroke her fur nervously with one hand and began to drum her fingers against the step with the other.

~~~~~

They were sitting around the kitchen table talking after Asami got changed. Except for Kaia. She didn't like this. Her hands were clenching and unclenching in her lap and she was bouncing her leg up and down, the fact that Yasuko and Naga didn't like being around Asami did not sit right with her at all.

"W-W-Why did they let you go?" Now's not the time, stutter. Go the fuck away.

"I think my dad might have pulled some strings."

"H-How did you get b-back?" Kaia asked again. She noticed Jinora looking at her through the corner of her eye.

"I found my way," Asami watched her with a cold stare.

"Then why don't you l-l-lead us there?"

"What the fuck is your problem?" Korra glared at her. "Why are you badgering her with questions?"

"Kaia's just overtired," Jinora spoke up. "She's paranoid from uhhh....a lack of sleep! Right, Kaia?"

"Yeah....possibly...." Kaia muttered.

"Come on. Let's go to bed," Jinora walked over to her and grabbed her hand, pulling her to stand up and taking her upstairs.

"Thanks."

"No problem. So are you going to tell me what's wrong?"

She closed the door shut behind them and locked it, crossing her arms and leaning against it.