Chapter 29

Trigger warning: self harm. It gets graphic, I will put a warning before it happens.

Ikki stood up and walked over to Kaia 2. She stood over her for a few seconds, staring at her with a straight face before laughing.

"You're like, twenty now and I'm still taller than you as a fourteen year old. Short ass," Ikki gently bumped Kaia 2's shoulder. Kaia 2 stared at the spot Ikki touched.

Jinora 2 noticed this and cut in, "What time was it when we got here, and where is Kaia?"

"8:36," Miya answered. "She left for the Southern Water Tribe. Four days ago."

"That's not good," Miya 2 glared and Kaia 2 and Jinora 2, "If I have to suffer because you two couldn't quit arguing, Asami will hear about this. I don't see why you couldn't put your shit aside for this one thing."

"Damn, Miya. You got even hotter. I'd smash," Ikki said.

"Jesus," Miya mumbled.

"Can you get everyone here?" Jinora 2 asked Ikki. "Specifically Kaia. Kaia needs to come back immediately. You're the only one she'll listen to." She then quietly added, "It's always been that way, apparently."

"At least I listen to someone, unlike you," Kaia 2 shot back, glaring. "Because apparently being a loyal girlfriend was too much to ask."

"Don't turn this onto me," Jinora 2 said. "I accept the consequences of my actions. You refuse to accept you even did anything wrong."

"Stop fighting," Ikki told them both. "I can try to get Kaia, but I doubt she'll be able to. Let me text her. But if you keep arguing I'll kill you both."

Three Days Later

Kaia and Asami had been able to come back. With the cost of Kaia's work being pushed back at least three weeks.

The only problem was they weren't given a reason why. All Ikki told them was that it was a 'real emergency' and they were needed ASAP.

Jinora met them at the door, and Kaia ran into her arms. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too," Jinora laughed as Kaia shook her hair like a dog, as they'd gotten wet since it was raining outside. "I just got here five minutes ago. I was given no explanation, just told it was so bad that you would be here. Miya and Ikki are acting...weird, to say the least," Jinora said. "Kya is being talked to right now. We aren't allowed in the conference room until they're done."

"I hope whatever it is isn't something that requires immediate attention. Has anything happened in the eight days I was gone?" Asami joked.

"Well, actually..."

"You're fucking kidding me," Asami groaned. "What could've possibly went wrong that quickly?"

"Three days after you left, Cyra and Miya's mom showed up. Tried saying she was here to take Miya and Cyra back since it was within her legal right. Cyra lashed out on Ikki, Miya and I might've caught a lead on something, and Kuvira is still severely depressed. Lin is supposed to be talking to her right now, actually."

Kuvira and Lin

Kuvira's room reeked of alcohol and despair, and empty bottles littered dressers and the floor. An overfilled ash tray lay by her bed, with multiple packs of empty cigarettes on the nightstand next to it. Most of the time she just laid in bed, her mind too numb and fuzzy to form a coherent thought.

But lately it didn't seem to work as well. She began to build a tolerance against drugs, against liquor, against nicotine. So she found something else.