Chapter 20

TW: Mentions rape, suicide, past child abuse

Korra sat on the rooftop staring into the sunset with a blank look in her eyes, absentmindedly stroking Naga's fur. She just killed the serial killer only to come back home to the whole Yasuko mess. And finding out that Asami was a firebender and kidnapped Kaia.

Was Kaia even alive?

Has Unalaq......done that to her yet?

Why would Asami take Kaia knowing what Unalaq does to girls?

Was Asami even Asami anymore?

"You good kid?"

Korra tensed up at the hand that touched her shoulder. She relaxed when she saw it was only Lin. "How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me kid?"

Lin simply shrugged. "You'll always be my kid."

Korra didn't respond and she looked over to see why. Korra was giving her a weird face.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Y-You said I'm your kid. Do you actually have a heart?" Korra sniffled happily.

Lin seemed to finally realize what she had said. It was just a natural response. "No! I did not! I was just-"

Then Korra gave her a 'you kicked my puppy' look and despite her efforts not to, Lin felt really guilty.

"No, I didn't mean to- I....fine. Yes, I said you were my kid, and yes, I do feel...protective and parental feelings when it comes to you. There, I admitted it. Are you happy now? Dammit. All of you kids are making me soft. Especially you."

Korra was giving her that look again.

"What?" Lin asked, though she already knew what Korra was 'asking.' "Fine, bring it in."

Korra wrapped her arms around her and Lin hugged her back.

"All jokes aside," Korra began, "You're the closest thing to a mom I've ever really had. I'm thankful for everything you've done for me throughout my life. It's more than anyone else has tried to."

"No problem. I would say that I was just doing my job, but I think I've grown the teeniest bit of an emotional attachment."

Korra chuckled and pulled away. "Yeah just the slightest bit."

Suddenly Naga started barking and wagging her tail, and Korra leaped off of the roof landing in front of the front door. Lin almost had a heart attack before she remembered Korra could airbend.

A tall teenage boy stood there. He looked to be no older than sixteen; he had and he had a bright blue eyes and brown skin. Although his skin was way darker than anyone in the water tribes and his nose was wider. The blue eyes signaled he was half water tribe, but all of his other features showed he was mixed with something else. He looked different from anyone in their area, but a good different.