XV

The first episode had just finished.

All the guys were now sitting in the backstage, some of them still gasping after their performance. Each one did a full performance (singing and dancing) and then another one with their strongest skill. Everything was aired edited with some scenes of the previous training months in the between. The audience at home had to vote on social media for their favorites. So, a final ranking was going to be shown at the end of the episode.

Then, during every week, the fans should keep voting in order to save the first 8 participants. The judges would decide for who to eliminate among the last 10. In the second episode, three people were going to come back home. Which was a lot. The fact of being chosen between a hundred people didn't make Wooyoung more confident: actually, he was even more scared, because everyone in there was so good. He couldn't underestimate anybody. 

Wooyoung of course prepared a dancing performance and another cover from one of his favourite groups, SEVENTEEN. He did well, after all. He didn't let the anxiety to distract him while he was performing. He felt pretty satisfied. 

His friends, Yeonjun and Seonghwa, did great as well. Yeonjun presented himself as a dancer too, whereas Seonghwa as a vocalist.

"I can't say they scouted me because I was good-looking, after all." Seonghwa said with a smile. Of course, he was a great vocalist and dancer. He had improved a lot during the training, Wooyoung kept repeating so, because it was true. But this didn't help the other's confidence to grow too much, since the teachers kept telling him that what he did wasn't enough. The same occurred for Wooyoung so they basically shared a similar situation.

Choi San opted for a song from EXO for his performance. Then, for the second stage, he opted for a dance performance, mostly to show his charisma. In fact, he presented himself as a performer.

Of course, he was the best among all.

Literally, no one could figure out how he could be such charismatic. He didn't lack a single facial expression, even when he was clearly out of breath. He could hold a whole performance by himself without hesitating a second. Plus, yes, he got out of breath sometimes, but how the fuck he's still alive? I mean, up to that moment I'd be dead if using all that energy. What the hell.

Wooyoung couldn't stop himself to think about that guy, coming back to the little time they had the exam day. The only day he saw San in a vulnerable mood. He wasn't asking anyone to help, but he clearly needed someone by his side. It looked like no one cared about his health. But, looking thoroughly at it, he never did anything disappointing. He had just been himself, even complimenting and saying nice things to the others, but the entourage just kept ignoring him. Probably they feared his talent too much to make friends with him. That's what had happened to Wooyoung, too? Maybe. He could still remember the dance battle, when San mocked him for just having put the gaze a way for a split second. That's when he thought that the other was just a pissing narcissist he didn't want to interact to. And that was probably in everyone's mind. And, as everyone, he was so wrong: San, during the battle, had just shrugged with a little smirk. He couldn't go on since everyone was claiming their exit, but he for sure didn't do it with the purpose to humiliate Wooyoung.

By the way, San had gotten used to it, but it still hurt.

The fact that Yeosang succeeded to enter the program made him happier than even his entrance. Not that he doubted, though. The dream of debuting together was slowly growing more realistic in his mind. If San had to find one defect of his, a real one, it was exactly this one: he wasn't enjoying his time there neither his talent because of his friendship. Because of people, basically. He had been so much used to satisfy his father that he still couldn't deal with his solo self, with his own desires. Because, actually, having friends and other people caring for you in your life, in his eyes was way better than other successes you could achieve.

He had tried so hard to fight with this toxic attitude of his, and sometimes he won, sometimes he didn't.

This means that he had past the previous two months trying to help Yeosang as well as doing his own training; but every time he succeeded a bit more, Yeosang started to stay silent in his presence, to look away, to make excuses and spend his time with other people. San tried his best not to feel hurt, but he didn't succeed this time. Or, at least, not every time.

That's when he and Seonghwa started to be a little closer. Seonghwa was a great listener and had learnt how to deal with San's feeling. They spent a lot of time together, and right now the tall guy was the only person with whom San really felt at ease. Despite their friendship, they only met sometimes late at night, and to the others' eyes, it was like they barely talked to each other. This was San's choice not to make Seonghwa isolated as he was.

But that time when he and Jung Wooyoung had worried in front of everyone was still a bless. While the others seemed to enjoy San's weak moment, those two wanted to help. He'd never forget the little smile Wooyoung had on his lips while giving him the bottle of water. Totally different from the expression he had on every time the older had tried to talk to him.

He was so cute.

San was staring at Wooyoung and Seonghwa having an apparently fun chit-chat in the opposite side of the backstage room, desiring so bad to be part of that conversation. But when he was about to collect his nerve and go towards them, the presenter on the main stage started to speak about the rankings.

#1
Choi San

No one seemed surprised by that result. Their cold expressions made San to gasp.

He stayed still and looked down to the floor.

___ • ___

Wooyoung ranked #22. Freaking #22 among 30 people.

Yeonjun got even worse, he ranked #27. This time, he couldn't hide his worried side and stayed silent the whole dinner. The shorter couldn't blame him. Even if it was the judges to choose who to come back home, the fact of not being appreciated by the public was still something to feel bad at.

"How can I succeed if fans don't like me? Aish, for next episode I need to put more effort." Yeonjun was poking his food with the chopsticks. It didn't look like he was about to eat anything.

"Hyung, we're working on it. We're going to succeed this program, and we're gonna do this together, ok?" Wooyoung was very bad at cheering people. It was usually Yeonjun's role. So, those extremely rare times the older felt this discouraged, Wooyoung had to do his best to make his lips smile again. Or, at least, to make him eat something.

For the next episode, they split the thirty trainees into four groups, two with eight members and the last two with seven members, each. They were given two songs to battle on. Each pair's winners were safe from elimination. This, together with the privilege of the first eight voted by the fans, meant that very few people were at risk of elimination. Which also means they were in trouble if in the loser team.

Wooyoung was together with Yeonjun. This boosted his confidence about the outcome. Not that just these two could make a beautiful stage by themselves, but the other members were good, too.

They were ready to slap Choi San's pretty ass off the screen.

.

.

I could say something about wooyoung slapping san's ass but I won't (...)

this chapter is short BUT next one will be longer so be ready

btw thank you so much for 500 reads 😭💙