Chapter Fifteen

Christian

"Family only at our house." I said sternly.

"I am Raylynn's only friend, I might as well be family." May challenged.

"I feel like that should change."

"Oh, hush, Christian." Grandma said. "I understand you not wanting us to tag along and we won't but you have to have a housewarming party when your home is ready."

I nodded.

Grandma turned to Raylynn, "Show me and Crispin your new car."

The three of them walked outside, leaving May and I alone in the kitchen. Her presence annoyed me and I hated that she was using Raylynn for whatever reason she was doing it, I suspect to get close to my family.

"Why don't you like me." May purred, standing up from her seat and walking to my side of the table.

"I don't trust you." I said, not moving an inch.

"And why not." She whispered, moving behind me, gently sliding one hand from my left shoulder to my right shoulder.

"Don't touch me." I hissed.

May backed away. "Oooh, touchy. Don't worry, Raylynn doesn't have to find out how attracted to me you are until you break up with her."

I stood from my seat. "I'm not breaking up with Raylynn, I love her."

May's eyebrows pulled down in confusion. "Why?"

"She's perfect for me. I couldn't have made a woman more for me if I tried."

"Oh please, she's a dime a dozen, there's nothing special about some-"

"Look who we found outside!" Grandma called as she, Raylynn, and Crispin entered the house and then the kitchen.

Walking behind them was my childhood friend. "Anna." I said as I walked over and embraced her. "Thank you so much for your help on Raylynn's birthday, we appreciate it."

"No problem, anything for you." Anna replied, tightening the hug.

I broke the embrace and walked to Raylynn, sliding my arm around her waist. She didn't look happy and she was stiff. Usually she melted into me whenever I touched her. Maybe she heard part of the conversation between May and I. I turned my head to Crispin and Grandma, neither of them looked happy so maybe that was it.

"I just dropped by to hang out but it looks like you were throwing a party and didn't think to invite me."

"Anna, you're the life of every party, you're always invited."

Raylynn stiffened even more and my arms and even tried to put some distance between us, distance that wasn't going to happen.

"Then let's throw a small party, just the family." She looked at Raylynn.

She didn't know Raylynn was living here, that's why she was treating her like an outsider, I thought.

"Grandma-"

"Mrs. St. Victoria to you."

"Grandma!" I scolded when Anna blushed.

"Why does she get to call you Grandma but I have to call you Mrs. St. Victoria? I've known you longer, Chris and I have history, this doesn't make sense." When Grandma didn't reply or acknowledge Anna said anything, Anna continued. "Sorry, Mrs. St. Victoria can cook while, you and I can get the alcohol and juice, Crispin can find some games to play. It'll be fun, just like old times." Anna winked at me.

"I'm sitting right here, how are you going to plan a party right here, in front of me, and plan to not invite me?" May complained.

"It's not just you, Raylynn isn't invited either."