Chapter Twenty-Three

Anna

"Everything is in place, we are ready when you are."

I pulled the mask over my face and smiled. "Then wait for my signal."

"Are you sure he's worth it?" The voice on the other end asked.

"He is but that's none of your concern."

Chris

"You look amazing." I said as I kissed Raylynn's lips. She's wearing a beautiful green dress, she's meant to be Princess Tiana from The Princess and the Frog. 'It's more fitting than dressing her as Cinderella.' Grandma had explained when she brought me my costume. I was wearing a white suit and was dressed as Prince Naveen.

"Thank you." I can't tell by her brown skin but I know if she could blush, she would be blushing right now. "You look wonderful as well.

"You did an amazing job." Topher approached us, kissing Raylynn on the cheek and shaking my hand.

"Your mother helped." She replied.

I laughed. "Yes and she'll remind us how hard it was to put this together like she does every year.

Raylynn just shrugged.

"You've come to a decision about Copepli?" Topher asked.

"Yes, why do you ask?" I questioned.

"Because, you're supposed to announce your choice tonight and they're heading this way as we speak.

The three of us turn around and see Charles, Helen, Margret, and Meredith heading our way. "Shit." I hiss.

Raylynn puts a placating hand on my arm. "Relax", she whispers.

"Raylynn, darling, how nice to see you again." Helen shouts, cheesing so hard it makes my cheeks hurt. Helen reaches out to embrace Raylynn but I pull her away and into my side at the last minute.

Helen brushes of the rejection and continues like it didn't happen. "Have you made the right choice and decided to work with my husband?"

I'm about to shut Helen down but Raylynn answers first. "I have made a choice and I'll be announcing my decision tonight. Very soon actually."

"Well don't keep us in suspense, tell us." Margret jumps forward.

"You'll wait like everyone else." I snapped at her.

The whole family, except Charles, jumped back and looked frightened.

"Thank you for inviting us tonight. Raylynn you look lovely, I hope to get a dance with you before the night is over." Charles spoke as he held out a hand toward me.

"You're welcome, thank you, and of course." She replied.

I shook Charles' hand and nodded the same sentiment. "If you'll excuse us." I offered as I lead the group away from the Johnson family.

"That went well." Raylynn said.

"Painless." Topher added.

"I'm hungry." Crisp said.

Anna

Mid-party, Raylynn started heading towards the stage with Christian, Mrs. St. Victoria and his parents. I pulled out my phone and made a call. "It's showtime, are you ready?"