Chapter Twenty-One

Christian

After dinner was served and eaten, Grandma finally decided the small talk was over. While we ate, Margret and Meredith made small jabs at Raylynn all night. Helen made a few herself while Charles constantly tried to steer all conversation away from his personal life.

"I'll be honest with you, Charles, I called you to this dinner tonight because I'd done my research on your company and I wanted to bring you in as a vendor. My search didn't include your personal. That's why I invited you to dinner."

I watched as Charles and his family perk at Grandma's statement.

"That was before, however. Now I'm wishing I had dug into your personal life and realized you were related to Raylynn."

"Everything she's told you is a lie!" Margret and Helen shouted at the same time.

"Raylynn hasn't told me anything. My grandson and I were there, at your house, the night you threw her things outside and told her she wasn't welcomed in your home anymore."

"What?" Charles asked, his complexion changing, he looked sick.

"We were told it was done on your order." I informed him.

Charles shook his head adamantly.

"Your wife and daughters said it was because the life you was beginning to be hard to maintain. My research tells me that at least that was true. Since you married Helen you've been losing business-"

"Lies!" Helen shouted and then realized who she was talking to, Grandma. "I apologize but someone has been spreading lies." She glared at Raylynn who was staring down at her plate.

"Keep your eyes to yourself." I roared at her.

Charles released a huge sigh. "So where does this leave us?"

"Daddy, did we not get the deal?" Margret asked in a sickly sweet voice.

"I'm leaving the decision up to Raylynn." Grandma announced to everyone's shock. Even Raylynn couldn't believe it.

Raylynn finally looked up from her plate and stared at Grandma. "But, Grandma, why would you leave such an important decision to me?"

"My dear, You are a larger part of this family and your feelings matter. If you don't think you can work with them or that they aren't what's best for this company, then I'll value your decision and find another vendor." Grandma said as she held and squeezed Raylynn's hand.

Meredith let out a sigh of relief. "Good. Great! Raylynn, tell her we can have the deal. We're your family."

"Nuh uh! Raylynn is our family!" Crispin shouted at Meredith.

"She's Charles' daughter so she'll do the right thing." Helen said.

"Kick you to the curb like you did her?" I interjected.

Helen, Margret, and Meredith paled.

"Whatever the decision, make the choice based on how you really feel." Charles said sadly.

"I-I." Raylynn stuttered. Then looked at me.

I took her hand under the table and gave it a squeeze. "Do what's right for you, baby."

Raylynn nodded and cleared her throat. "I want time to make my decision, Grandma."

Grandma agreed. "That's fine, my dear, I don't actually need a decision until next year.

A sigh of relief left both sides of the table. Raylynn stood and then so did the rest of the table. "I'll be in touch over the course of the year and conduct interviews and meetings. It was nice seeing you all again." Raylynn pulled me out of the room behind her and the rest of the family followed. When the shock wore off, Charles' family was right behind us.