Chapter Seven

Raylynn

It was 6am and I was standing in front of my bathroom mirror making sure my shoulder-length was a perfectly curled. I was ready first day working for Grandma and I didn't want to look a mess like the first day I met her.

I quietly tiptoed up the stairs and made myself a nice breakfast. I had scrambled eggs, crisp but not burnt bacon, a hash brown, and orange juice. As I cleaned up after finishing, I heard someone upstairs waking up. Helen and Father's room was downstairs so it was either Meredith or Margret.

I picked up the pace, quickly cleaned and washed the dishes, I made it out the door in my black pencil skirt and red blouse, I carried my red wedges in my hands as I eased out the door when I heard someone walking down the stairs.

I ran to my car, got in, and went to St. Victoria's. I sat in the parking lot because to say I was early was an understatement. It was 7:30am and my head was resting on the steering wheel when I heard a knock on my window. I looked up in fright and saw George standing there with a cup of something warm.

I rolled down the window. "Hello, Ms. Raylynn, I saw you out here and thought you would enjoy something warm to drink."

"Thank you, Mr. George." I said as I took the cup from his hand.

"Please, just George is fine." He smiled.

"Alright, then just Raylynn is fine as well." I returned his smile.

"You know, you can come in if you'd like. It'd better than sitting out here until 9am.

I looked at my phone's clock and saw that it was 7:39am. Definitely too long for me to sit outside and wait. "It would be foolish of me to just sit here, huh?" I unbuckled myself and grabbed my bag as I got out of my car.

"You remember the way to Mrs. St. Victoria's office, yes?" George asked once we were inside.

"Yes." I state then head that way.

I knock and am answered with a 'come in' by Grandma.

"Hello, My dear." She says when she see me, giving me a hug.

"Hi, Grandma."

"Have a seat, we'll go over your pay and benefits."

"Benefits?" I asked. I didn't think I'd get any benefits.

"Of course, this a full-time job. We're talking dental and medical. Your pay will be $50 an hour but that's only while you're starting out. It will be raised if you do a good enough job after six weeks. If you really impress me it'll be sooner."

I did the math in my head, I'll be able to move out on my own in no time.

"Here are some papers I need you to fill out." She handed me a small stack of papers. "Fill these out and I'll be back after I finished looking around to make sure we're ready to open."

I took the papers, nodded again, and started working on the papers. I did the best I could at filling out the papers completely but I must admit some parts confused me.

Grandma came back in and I cringed as I handed her the papers, I knew I skipped a lot and probably made a lot of mistakes.

Grandma smiled at me and helped me answer the parts I didn't know.

"You don't have a bank account?" She asked me.

I shook my head.

She grabbed her purse and keys. "Come on, let's go. Every working girl needs her own bank account." She led me to her car where she then proceeded to drive me to the Lauderdale National Bank.