Chapter Nine

Raylynn

What am I going to do, I don't want, no, I can't just cut Chris out of my life.

"I'm not going anywhere." Chris says. "I'm not letting them come between us."

Knock knock.

"Chris, Grandma says it's been thirty minutes and she wants Raylynn back right now!" Crispin yells through the door.

That makes laugh. I hop off Chris' lap and I look at my reflection in the window and see that my face doesn't look a mess. "Thank you, we'll talk about this more later and for the record, I'm not letting the come between us either." I lean down to kiss Chris' cheek but at the last minute, he turns his face and my lips touch his.

"Have a good day at work, Baby." He says.

I bite my bottom lip to control my smile. "You too."

I follow Crispin down a floor and to Grandma's office, as soon as we arrive, she's us both to work. "Raylynn, I want you to look over these documents and make sure everything is in place, no spelling or grammatical errors. When you finish, I want you to start making phone calls. The party will be January 2, 2015, I want you to get as much done as you can this week and next week so you can have the 12th off. Crispin, I want you to go to your dad's office and ask him for the approval sheet."

Crispin runs off to his dad's office. "Um, Grandma, why do I have the 12th off?" I ask.

"The 12th of this month is your birthday, isn't it?"

I nod.

"Then that's why, My dear. I don't want you to work on your birthday."

"I, uh, don't exactly have plans for that day so I would rather work." I explain. I haven't done anything for my birthday since Helen and her daughter's arrived. May doesn't know when my birthday is and my father doesn't say anything on the day either. For me, it's just another day.

Grandma puts the paper's she holding, down. "That was before you joined my family." Grandma winks. "Get to work and you'll see what I mean."

I work on everything Grandma gave me but by the end of the work day, I only have about half of it done. "Sorry, Grandma, I'll definitely finish it tomorrow." I say as we all, Grandma, Crispin, Chris and I, walk out of the building.

"Oh, My dear, I'm surprised you got as much done as you did, my last assistant wouldn't have gotten as far as you did today in a week." She waves it off.

"What's for dinner?" Crispin asks excitedly.

"I don't know, what do you want to eat?" Chris asks him, his fingers laced with mine as we head to the cars.

"Hmm, spaghetti!" Crispin shouts.

"You had spaghetti for lunch." I say.

"Chris' spaghetti is good, but Grandma's spaghetti is better. She puts chicken and sausage and mushrooms and big tomatoes in here spaghetti but don't worry, Raylynn, you can barely taste the mushrooms." Crispin informs me.

"So you all want to come home with me and then you expect me to feed you?" Grandma teased. "If I feed you, you'll never leave."

We got into the cars, My and Chris in Chris' car, Grandma and Crispin in Grandma's car.

"This isn't your house." I say as we pull it to a gorgeous cottage like house. It was smaller than Chris' house but by no means small. It had a more homey feeling than the other house.

"This is Grandma's house." Chris said as he got out. I waited for him to walk around and open my door, then he continued. "This is the house she and Grandpa shared. She has a room at our family home but she prefers to stay here."