Chapter Twenty-Six

Christian

"Rewind it a little." Topher said. "This time, listen to Anna's reply."

"'By the way, that was true. I was just mad that he told the entire school about it."' I watched the tape as Anna giggled and leaned across the table towards me. '"But I want you to be happy, why would I take Raylynn away from you when you think she makes you happy?"'

Topher pushed pause. "Did you hear what she said?"

"Yes, what about it?" I shrug.

"Her exact words were 'when you think she makes you happy'. Do you know what she's implying?"

I shook my head in confusion. "No what?"

"The crap about her understanding your relationship with Raylynn is a lie."

"How did you get that from that little sentence?" I questioned my older brother with a raised eyebrow.

"She said 'when you think she makes you happy'. Emphasis on you. Meaning she doesn't believe Raylynn is what's best for you but she understands you think Raylynn is."

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at Topher. "So what should I do? Raylynn's pregnant and though she won't admit it, she's scared after what happened at the party. How do I keep her safe if we can't prove Anna did it?"

"Honestly?" Topher leaned back in his chair, mimicking my pose. "Take a trip to Italy. We have family down there that would protect you with their lives and not necessarily through legal means."

"So uproot our lives to keep her safe from Anna, the same Anna I've known most of my life and call my best friend?"

"Your best friend or the love of your life and unborn child, your choice."

"I'll choose Raylynn every time but do you think she'll go for that?"

"Don't give her a choice."

"Easier said than done." I got out of the chair and started walking out of the police station. "Is this the decision you would make to keep the one love safe?"

Topher looked me in the eye, "Without a second thought."

"What about the company?"

"You're leaving the country not going off grid. We'll stay in touch and you and Raylynn will still play your parts as far as the company is concerned."

I hugged my brother before hopping into my car and driving home.

Later that night, Raylynn and I were in bed while I broke the news of our impending trip to her.

"Topher doesn't trust Anna and so he thinks we'd be safer if we left? Do you really think she's that dangerous?" She questioned.

"She's not stupid enough to do something this very moment but I rather we not be easy to find when Anna does decide to strike." I replied before kissing her forehead.

Raylynn poked me in my chest, "You need to pick your friends better, mister."

"You're the only friend I care about right now and I'd say I'm doing a pretty good job." I laugh before turning off the bedside lamp.

Raylynn

It's too damn early to be boarding a private plane. I turned towards Chris, "If this is a private plane that means you decide when we board and leave, correct?"