Chapter 10

The rest of the day went by in a high speed blur. After I recovered from the shock of speaking to Sam Smith, I went back to work coffee in hand. By the time I got back Kelly had gotten stressed out after my delay into getting back. I explained to her what had just happened and she said she completely understood and even apologized for not warning me about the elevator glitches. I went back to work and within the next hour and half I was on my third coffee trip since the elevator incident. It didn't take me long to realize two things. First that I hate stairs, you would too if you were stuck in an elevator, which was afterwards shut down for the rest of the day, causing the rest of them to be packed full of people and had tried walk up and down thirteen flights of stairs. Second thing I learned is that Nathan, the cashier from the coffee shop, is very sneaky. The whole adding on a dollar per cup of coffee seemed fair to start out with, that is until you have to pay an extra ten dollars on already high priced coffee.

I walk into the coffee shop on the third trip and the second I enter the shop cashier dude smirks at me. "Your order will be ready soon." He tells me as he begins to type in the price.

"Hold on one second." I tell him, debating things in my mind before I finally speak. "One dinner, not as a date, correct?"

He perks up at this, well as perked up as you can get on a major caffeine rush. "Yep, and you can still text me the orders so their ready when you come down. No extra charge."

"Fine." I grumble, I'm not exactly enthusiastic about going to dinner with a stranger, but the extra money added to the order is getting ridiculous.

Cashier dude tells me the price of the order (without the extra charge this time). I pay for the order and once it's finished I head back to work. Back into the office and I break down and take the second (non-broken) elevator up to the thirteen floors. By the time I finally make it to the thirteenth floor and walk through the stairwell entrance. Unfortunately that also meant I walked right into the person entering the elevator, and almost got hot coffee all over them. I attempt my very best at apologizing but he wanted nothing to hear of it. The man looked up and my stomach knotted. I really don't have much luck today.

"Alexandria, go gather your things from your desk and meet me here in five minutes. I'm reassigning you." My dad told me as he spoke with a locked jaw.

"Yes, sir." I do as I was told, and with each step wishing I didn't have to exist for the next few minutes. I make it back to the desk and start to get my leather jacket and purse.

"What's going on?" Kelly asks with confusion written across her face.

"I'm getting reassigned. I nearly spilt coffee on one of the executives." I tell her with a shrug of my shoulders.

"Oh. I'm sorry, well I'm glad I got to work with you, and maybe you'll get assigned to be back here later on." She tells me. I just reply with a nod before waving and heading back to the stairwell to meet my dad.

He stands there expression unreadable with a fresh shirt on, and beside him stands Mason, who gives me an apologetic look when he sees me. Wonderful, if Mason's giving me that look what I'm heading for must not be good. "Mason, take your sister to her next assignment. As for you, Alexandria, I hope you can manage this assignment until the end of the day." Our dad says before walking off without another word or a parting glance.

"How bad?" I ask Mason as we head into the stairwell.

"Not good, that's for sure. Remember what we talked about in the car this morning?" He asks me with a grim expression.

I nod, and decide it's probably best to avoid the subject for as long as possible. I remember something from earlier and decide to question him about it. "I met Sam Smith earlier today."