Chapter 29

"Luke Robert Hemmings, I swear if you do that one more time--"

"Do what?" He asks playing innocent as he skates in front of me.

"Make me fall," I tell him simply as I nearly fall over to avoid hitting him. Instead, he just wraps his arms around my waist until I'm stable.

"Alexandria Lynn Parker, I promise I won't let you fall." He encourages and slips his hand into mine as we continue to skate along. Yes, Luke brought me to an arcade/roller skating rink. How he found out I can't skate? I'm going to guess my brothers. They're the only ones who know how clumsy I am when I have wheels attached to my shoes, and I'm sure that they told him about the time I chipped my tooth because I fell during an early attempt.

"Don't make promises you can't keep."

"Would it make you feel any better if I fell down with you?"

"Maybe." I chuckle as we continue around the empty rink. "So--how did you manage this?"

"I made a couple calls and asked nicely." He tells me with a look of pride. "Random question," Luke tells me after a moment of silence.

"Random answer."

"Do you have any plans about what you want to do for your birthday?" He asks, which makes me wonder what he has up his sleeve. Unfortunately, my curiosity is overshadowed by the dread that comes with the mention of my birthday.

"Nothing. I've never really been one to celebrate my birthday. Most times I have a casual day with my mom and friends. The only thing that really makes it any different is we have cake. The last couple times I really celebrated didn't go very well." Luke just nods, and I appreciate that he doesn't need me to explain. "Why do you ask?"

"What would you think of actually celebrating this year? Nothing extravagant, but something to actually celebrate your birthday."

"I would say you have a lot of--" I don't finish my sentence because I hit a dent in the floor and lost my balance. Luke and I both fall down because of it. My knees hit the floor first, sending sharp pains up through my hips. The wind gets knocked out of me twice after that. Once when my stomach hits the floor, and the second when Luke falls on top of me. He quickly scrambles off, turning me over to make sure I'm okay. All I can manage is a small laugh and an "ow."

"Are you alright?" Luke asks again, still looking worried as he hovers over me.

"Yep. I'm just going to be a bit bruised the next couple days." I pause looking up at him before saying. "You didn't keep your promise, Hemmings."

"Well, at least I fell with you?" He laughs, unsure if that will help his plight.

"Correction--you fell on me."

"Is there any way I can make it up to you?" Luke asks, and I don't verbally answer. Instead, I get caught up in the moment and pull him closer. Luke gets the message and slowly leans in while I do the same. Our lips connect and I get the familiar feeling I get when we kiss running through my veins. I don't know what he's done to me, but I can't complain. Every time the butterflies in my stomach turn into a stampede, I feel like I'm weightless, or the most common— I feel like I have gasoline in my veins and he's the striking match.

When we pull apart, I smile up at him—at my amazing boyfriend. If only I could tell him how he makes me feel. I swear, I've never been able to open up to someone, be so comfortable in their presence, feel this happy, or like my genuine self. "I think that's enough roller skating for us." Luke laughs as he rests his forehead to mine, his voice barely above a whisper. "I don't want Nico beating me up for bringing you back covered in bruises."