Chapter 32

"Stop that! I'm trying to focus!" I laugh as I smack Michael's hand away from my hair. We've only been at the studio for twenty minutes, and they've made it their mission to bug me until Mr. Montgomery arrives. "Seriously? Give those back!" I shout to Calum after he pulls the headphones off my ears.

Someone clears their throat from the doorway, and I turn around expecting it to be Mr. Montgomery. I couldn't have been more wrong. "Hello, Alexandria, guys." John says with a polite smile and nod.

I involuntarily tense up at the sound of his voice. "Is there anything you needed in here?" I ask, doing my best to keep my voice level and polite.

He pauses, looking over me for a moment with a blank expression. A sigh escapes his lips as he speaks. "No, I guess not. I just came to check in and see how the album was coming along. Although, I think it's best if I leave for the time being." I simply nod, turning around as I pretend to adjust some of the levels on the sound board.

Mr. Montgomery arrives a moment later, and I do my best to forget that John was here a few minutes ago. Luke steps into the booth, giving me a goofy face before the music starts playing an upbeat song. "Runaways, we're the long lost children. Running to the edge of the world. Everybody wants to throw us away. Broken boy meets broken girl." He watches me the whole time he sings, and I have to bite my lip to hide my smile. Although, nothing can hide the bright shade of red my cheeks have turned.

I turn to the guys, who are all laughing at me and Luke's faces. "So I'm assuming you know who wrote that one." Calum teases, wiggling his eyebrows at me. I roll my eyes at him, since the answer is obvious. "Oh, my turn." He shouts as he runs into the booth.

About a half hour in and I have the song stuck on a loop in my head from the guys having to sing it so many times. I'm not complaining though, it's a catchy song, and the fact that my boyfriend wrote it for me makes it a hundred times better. "So do you like the song?" Luke asks me as he sits down next to me on the couch during our lunch break.

"I think it's great. I love the lyrics and the beat." I tell him with a smile. He smiles at me and nods with a devious smile on his face. "What's that look for?"

"I was just wondering—" he pauses, his smile growing wider which makes his dimple appear. "—do you love the song or are you saying that because you love me?"

"What if I said both?" I ask him with a smile.

"Both would be a good answer." He smiles back at me, but that stops when Michael sits down in between us.

"So, Andy, tell me. What did you think of the song?" He asks with an excited smile.

"I was just telling Luke I really liked it."

"Ha! Calum, you owe me twenty bucks!" Michael shouts across the room with a wide smile. I laugh as the two banter back and forth for a few minutes.

"Andy, I had faith in you!" Calum shouts at me, but I just shrug telling him I genuinely like the song. "I thought you we be more loyal to Candy."

"I am!" I cry pretending to be hurt. "Please, don't destroy Candy over this." Calum just looks at me for a moment, mimicking my hurt look.

"Fine. We can still be Candy, but I can't guarantee we'll ever be the same." He tells me after a moment. The group of us all start laughing a moment later.

"So, are you excited for your birthday, Andy?" Ashton questions with a huge smile.

"Not really. Should I be?" I ask looking at each of the guys in turn, who all just shrug. "Okayyy." I say thoroughly confused. "If you're secretly planning something, just remember what happened the last time you tried to surprise me." I tell them with a laugh, and Luke just looks away in embarrassment.