Chapter 18

I sit in the back of the van with Mason and the guys. I look at each of them in turn, and the guys patiently wait for me to talk. "Like I told you guys, I owe you an explanation about what happened back there. There's quite a bit about myself that I haven't told you, and just bare with me because this is a long, rollercoaster story." Ashton, Michael, Calum, and Luke all nod giving me a few curious looks. "So, as I'm sure you found out from my blow up back there--John is my dad, but we don't really get along. I'll get into that story in a moment, though." I sigh, explaining to them about how Mason is my twin, but I asked him not to say anything because I didn't want them to know about John.

"We figured you and Mason were more than just friends." Calum says from beside me with a chuckle. "Anyway, why don't you and John get along?"

"That's where things get complicated." I sigh, shrinking back in my seat as I relay the entire story to them, not leaving out a single, painful detail. "So, a couple days before school ended, he called my mom. He told her as part of the 'deal' I had to come out and work for Capitol Records over summer, which is why I'm even here in the first place. Honestly, if you guys hadn't nearly burned down your house, I don't think I would have made it through these last few weeks, and I'm sure that's what John intended when he had me start working with you guys. Anyway, there's a reason I finally lost it and blew up at him this morning."

"I was meaning to ask you about that? Did it have anything to do with him calling you into his office?" Mason asks looking back at me from the rearview mirror.

"Yeah, it had to do with that radio interview from yesterday." I call up to him, and the guys all look around confused about what the interview could have to do with me blowing up at my dad. "Let's just say he crossed a major line this morning." I take a deep breath, as I think about how to word this best. "He wanted me to date one of you guys to boost publicity for the upcoming single release and album. The worst part is he didn't care if it was real or not. He kept questioning if I liked one of you guys and told me how convenient it would be if I started to date one of you guys. Don't get me wrong, you guys are great, but I could never do that to anyone. I could never be in a relationship for the sole purpose of gaining publicity."

"Are you serious? He asked you to do that?" Mason practically shouts from the front seat, his knuckles turning white as he tightly grips the steering wheel. "That is wrong on so many levels."

"Yeah. When I told him 'no', he started waving the deal in my face. He kept telling me if I wanted a future in the industry, I would do it." I pause looking at the guys, making eye contact with Luke for a second longer than the others. "I could never do that to anyone--much less you guys. I would never forgive myself if I crossed someone like that."

"So, you put all of that on the line for us?" Ashton asks, his face scrunched in confusion. "Why would you do that?"

"I didn't think of it as putting everything on the line. In my mind, it's was a chance to stand up to him, prove I don't need him to succeed, and stand up for my friends. The choice was easy." I tell them with a casual shrug. "I just don't know if I'll be able to stay here until the end of summer after all that."

"It's your choice, but if you stay, you won't be alone." Luke tells me with a smile, and I start to feel like maybe I should stay.

The car ride goes by in mostly silence, all of us too angry, tired, or submerged in our thoughts to speak. I eventually plug in my headphones and drift off to sleep without realizing it. It feels like hours pass by when I feel someone sit down next to me, but my eyelids are too heavy to see who it is. "Do you think she'll be okay?" Someone--Michael, I think--asks, and I can feel the person beside me shifting around.

Mason's voice echoes back, "I think so. She just needs some time, which is why I suggested we get out of town before she decides whether or not to leave." There's a pause before he continues. "She's been holding all of this in for a long time, and these past weeks haven't been easy for her. Hopefully, this trip will help things."