Chapter 21

"Did you guys find anything interesting?" Ashton asks Michael and I when we make it back.

"Nope. Just some empty tide pools." I tell them with a casual shrug, as I sit down to stare at the horizon with everyone else. "It's almost sunset." I whisper to myself, a small smile creeps onto my face. I turn to Mason, "Can we stay just a little bit longer. I really want to watch the sun set."

"I don't know. It's kind of late, and I'm sure everyone wants to get back." Mason sighs as he bundles up the stuff, but the guys all contradict him saying they want to stay. I look up at my brother with pleading eyes, knowing he always falls for it. "Fine. We can stay for a little while longer." He sighs as he drops the stuff on the ground, and all of us cheer.

I bury my feet in the warm sand as we watch the sun fade into the ocean. "I wish this day could have lasted for a little while longer." I sigh, leaning my head on someone's shoulder. I feel them tense up, but quickly take a deep breath and relax after a moment.

"Y-yeah, me too." Luke replies. "Just think of it this way, we still have a whole month of summer left ahead of us."

"That's true, but it won't be the same when we go back." I sigh.

"How so?" Luke asks looking at me with a tinge of worry.

"You guys will be busy finishing the album, and I'll be back to feeling miserable around John, while I'm constantly running errands. Things won't be so simple and fun. I'm not ready for it to go back to how it was."

"Not necessarily." I look up at him as he continues. "Things can still be fun. It might just take a bit of effort, but not everything has to change."

"Promise?" I ask him hopefully and he wraps his arm around my shoulder comfortably.

"I promise, and if you need me to, I'll even try to keep John away."

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Hemmings." I chuckle at him, putting my head back on his shoulder. We watch the sun disappear and the stars take its place before Mason ushers us back toward the car. "Or on our backs under the stars, as we sing--as we sing. What's another night on mars, with friends like ours anywhere is home." I quietly sing as we walk to the van.

"Are you singing the Maine?" Calum asks me with a small laugh. I just nod my head in reply as I sting louder and he joins in.

"So you like the Maine, huh?" I turn to ask Calum as Mason starts driving us back to the hotel.

"I've liked them ever since Luke showed me their music."

"Luke?!" I shout at the blond as I jokingly hit him. "You never told me you liked the Maine!"

"You never asked." He drowsily shrugs.

"Really? So countless conversations about music doesn't count?" I sass back in reply.

"Good point." He laughs leaning back in his seat, and the rest of the car ride I continually catch him looking at me.

"What are you looking at?" I tease him when he takes a moment to look away.

"You." He replies with a smirk.

"Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up." I tell him as I roll my eyes.

"Oh my gosh! Will the flirting never end?" Michael groans from behind us, shooting me a wink.

"Luke, stop flirting with my baby sister." Mason pretends to scold Luke, but he starts laughing halfway through his sentence.

Neither Luke nor I say anything. I face out the window hoping no one will see me blushing. "Andy's blushing. Andy's blushing." Ashton sing-songs from the front seat.