Chapter 23

"Shotgun!" Ashton calls out from behind me as we all started heading out to the van. I turn around wide-eyed since I was about to do the exact same thing. Neither of us say anything else, we both just start running to the van in the hopes of beating the other there. I practically sprint as best as I can, but I stumble when someone tugs on my duffel bag's strap. Ashton runs forward laughing maniacally and jumps into the front seat with a smug smile. "I never realized you were so slow." He teases, and I just glare at him.

"I really hate you sometimes." I mumble as I walk away.

"No, you don't." He shouts back at me.

"Don't tell me what I feel, Irwin." I jokingly shout back and shake my head at the crazy guy. I open up the door to the back of the van, and lift my duffel bag inside. The rest of the guys come by to put their bags in and I turn around to go claim my seat. Instead, I run straight into someone's chest and nearly tumble over.

"Woah. You okay?" Luke asks, looking down at me with concern, and I become very aware of the fact that his arms are wrapped around my waist.

"Y-yeah. I'm fine?" I try to say, but it comes out as more of a question.

"I--" Luke starts to say, but he stops suddenly. "Can we talk about yesterday? I don't really want to leave it off like we did." He tells me referring to how things were a little bit strained between us after the twitter incident.

"Um. Sure." I reply, and it's then that I notice his normally vibrant blue eyes looking unusually tired. "Are you okay? You look like you didn't get any sleep." I comment, not even thinking as I lift my hand up to his cheek.

"I'm fine. I didn't really sleep all that well." He tells me with a casual shrug. We both stay still for a moment, not saying anything, but looking at and analyzing the other.

We hear someone clear their throat from inside the van. Luke's arms instantly let go of me as we turn to see Calum looking at us awkwardly. "You guys do realize you have to actually get into the van before we can leave?"

I awkwardly nod as I head to the doors and climb inside, but I have to bite back a smile when I hear Michael scold Calum behind me. "Come on, dude. Couldn't you see they were having a moment? We were so close!"

"So close to what?" Luke asks as he takes the empty seat next to me.

Michael just stutters, and I reply for him. "I'm pretty sure they're trying to pull another balcony stunt on us." I tell him, and we both shake our heads knowing these guys won't give up. The car ride goes by for a while in relative silence, with the radio being the only noise. "Can someone, please, pass me the aux cord. I can't take the radio any more." I tell them with a sigh, and Ashton quickly passes me the cord.

I plug in my phone and quickly shuffle one of my playlists, smiling to myself as a few of us sing along. Ashton sits up front, drumming on the dashboard, while me, Luke, and Michael all play our air guitars as we sing along. Mason just shakes his head at us from the front seat, and Calum is too busy sleeping to notice anything.

Eventually one particular slower song comes on, but I decide not to skip it. Instead, I sing it out, relating the lyrics to the situation. "Oh, my stomach's tied in knots, and I'm afraid of what I'll find if you and I talk tonight. See the problem isn't you, it's me I find I do this every single time. I push you away. I get a so afraid. Oh no." I sing along with Kellin Quinn's voice as I strum out the chords I know so well.

When the song finishes, Luke steals the aux cord and plugs his phone in. I give him a weird look, but he says nothing. Instead he just smiles at me as he plays the song. A moment later, Right Girl by the Maine starts pouring through the speakers, and I shake my head at Luke.