Chapter 3

Ouch. I squint my eyes back shut, as I took over to avoid the blinding stream of sunlight. I push myself up, with a groan, and something catches attention as I do so. The gentle droning of the news intermingles with the clatter of pots and pans, and is that food I smell. Let's see, there are two options to how explain what's happening. Either a burglar came in watched the news while he was robbing and cooked us breakfast, or my mom is home. I'm going to go with the more logical explanation and say my mom is home.

I untangle myself from the swarm of blankets. Before finding my footing and maneuvering my way through the tangle of my bandmates, doing my best not to wake them up. Unfortunately, I'm a complete klutz, and while pivoting to another space, I fell. On top of Luke, who was kindly woken up me face planting the floor.

"Ow." Luke grumbled as I moved off of him. "Nice to know some things never change."

"Sorry, Lukey." I reply, giving him a flash of my big blue eyes. "You know I've never been very graceful."

"Yeah, I know."

"C'mon, let's go get some breakfast since we're already up." I offer him my hand, which he takes, and we head towards the kitchen.

As we get closer, the smell of food gets stronger and we can see my mother cooking. "Hey, mom." I greet, taking a seat on one the bar stools, and Luke does the same.

My mom turns around, gives us a large smile. "Hey, there sleeping beauty, and Andy." My mom says once she catches sight of us. "I see you had a band meeting while I was gone." I nod and smile at the faint chuckle she has when she says that.

"You don't mind though?" I ask knowing the typical answer, but wanting to double check.

"No, of course I don't mind. Believe it or not, it makes me happy to know you're spending time with your friends. I get worried whenever you coop yourself up in your room." I understand the indirect meaning of her words, but that is a subject best left alone. As she speaks, she walks over giving me a tight hug. I smile at her and return the hug. I know the stereotypical teenager completely hates their parent(s) because they think they're so controlling; but I don't,well I don't hate one of them. My mom is pretty much my best friend, she worries, just like any good parent, but she also let's me have freedom.

"So did you have a good time last night?" She asks, as she returns to cooking breakfast.

At her question I find a lump in my throat. Typically, the answer is 'good' or 'awesome,' but this time something holds me back, last night's band meeting was more of a bonding experience than anything. Luckily, before my silence lasts too long, Luke replies for me. "It was really good, Ms. Parker."

"I'm glad to hear that." She replies with a smile. "Why don't you two go wake..."

She gets interrupted, by the multiple shouts of "Band Mom!" From the living room. I chuckle at my bandmates. They insist on calling my mother 'band mom,' probably because she is the one always helping us with anything band related. Still, we're close to everyone's parents, but they declared that mine is the official.

"Hmm, I wonder if they're awake yet?" I ask my mom, my voice dripping with sarcasm. My mom just laughs as she greets everyone. "I'm pretty sure she's my mom, not yours guys."

"What do you mean by that?!" Skylar asks acting 'offended.' She continues talking as she walks over holding my mother's shoulders as she says, "She's band mom. Meaning she is the entire band's mother! So no being selfish."

"Yeah, Andy. Don't be selfish! Ooh, food!" Matt says, getting distracted by my mother's food.

"Yes, I did make breakfast. Now why don't you boys go set the table, and Skylar, Andy, if you'll help me take it to the table." She says, shooing the boys out of the kitchen with napkins and silverware in their hands, and handing Skylar and I plates of food for everyone.