11. Day One Hundred and Ninety-Seven of Knowing

• S I X    M O N T H S    L A T E R •

The moment I step off the aerobridge, I feel a tingling sensation of excitement course through me as I realize that this is almost like a two-month vacation.

Sure, I'll be attending some meetings, visiting potential clients and running little errands for Ray, but at the end of the day, the fact that I'm getting to spend time with some of my college friends, especially when one of them is getting married is thrilling.

If someone told me four years ago that the sarcastic, pithy, impatient girl that I met in college would be the first one of my friends to get married, I would have laughed in their faces, but here I am, standing at the Whitfield Hills International Airport, on my way to spend two months with her before she ties the knot.

The last time I was in this country was six months ago, when I visited Eastport; Whitfield Hills is only a few hours away from there.

I am still completely amazed that my parents let me come here all by myself.

As I make my way towards the immigration counter, there are butterflies in my stomach with all the excitement.

I pull out my phone, connect to the airport's open WiFi and call my parents.

"So, you've reached safely?" my Dad's voice comes down the line.

"Mmhmm," I reply, "I just landed. I'm in the line at immigration."

"Flight landed five minutes early," my Dad tells me, like I hadn't been on the plane, myself.

I have to laugh, because I can completely picture my Dad, seated in the living room, in his chair, glasses on his nose, going through the FlightStats app, religiously, to make sure that my plane didn't mysteriously disappear from the sky.

"Yeah, the pilot said that there were tailwinds," I inform him.

"Is the line long?"

My Dad manages to ask the most mundane questions.

I nod, even though he can't see me. "A bit."

"Hold on, Mom wants to speak to you."

"Okay."

"Hi, darling. Where are you?" she asks.

I can hear my father tell her that I'm in line at immigration.

"Have you called your friend?" she questions.

I perch my bag on top of my suitcase and push it forward as the line moves. "No, I called you first. I'll call Ray right after. She said she'll come to pick me up."

I can almost hear my Mom's eye roll when she tells me, "I will never understand why you call that girl Ray when that's nowhere close to her name."

"We call her that because she's such a ray of sunshine," I tell my Mom for the umpteenth time.