21. Day Twenty One of Learning

Hurricane Aurora had struck the kitchen counter of the Kingsley household

Documents and files of various natures strewn all across the white marble really took away from the tranquil and serene appearance the kitchen usually had; even when Denver was in the middle of cooking a meal.

Or when Ray was trying to find a utensil.

The documents aren't mine alone; some of them are folders that came straight from Wedding Planner Rosalie and have large charts of seating arrangements and huge papers with the layout of the venue and the table placement.

Today, I have free reign over a house that is not mine in the least.

I already told Frank that he can take the night off and that I'm completely fine.

Frank, having retired to his quarters, was not in the way of my syncing my phone to the speakers and singing along to the music as I now, began to create order out of the chaos of papers, since my work was pretty much over.

I would have finished sooner if my sister, Aubrey, hadn't called me on her drive home – something she does on occasion so that she doesn't get too bored and fall asleep.

She brought me up to speed with the goings on at home, and after a short lecture on how I should get the work done if I'm feeling overwhelmed – when I mentioned that I was feeling overwhelmed because I hadn't finished off a project that was due soon – she told me to have fun and hung up.

Now, however, the time is almost seven, Elvis is singing 'Love Me Tender' in the background, quite tenderly, I might add, and I'm sweeping papers into a pile and putting it into my according folder.

Princess Diaries and my parents' partiality towards old songs have fueled my love for the golden hits – this one in particular came from Princess Diaries – and there are so many days where I want to listen to soft, lilting old ballads and this is just one of those days.

The past three weeks have been so full of so many people and things to do that the tranquility of the air tonight is so welcome, especially because I'm someone who loves quiet nights in.

In the blissful depths of solitude, I sing along with Elvis, one of my comfort songs.

The music plays and I hum with it.

It's the calmest I've felt in three weeks.

"I guess I've shattered your solitude."

I look up.

I don't know how long he stood there listening, completely unbeknownst to me, listening to me, but it was like he had materialized out of thin air.

He stood at the doorway to the kitchen, both hands casually in his pockets, leaning against the doorframe, wearing a pair of jeans and a loose-fitted greyish beige t-shirt, his glasses and a smile.