43. Day Eleven of Growing

Wherever Elliot has been trying to take me for the past five days must be important, considering the look of absolute concentration that's on his face at the moment, as he drives us wherever we're going

We've been unable to get away from the house, partially because Ray's and Julie's families were so excited to hang out with the newlyweds that we've been constantly having to entertain guests, and because Elliot started going back to work.

Since the day after Jenna returned, this was the first time I was seeing Elliot in person.

We've been texting back and forth the whole time.

Elliot's replies are sporadic when he's working, but it's so apparent that he's trying.

Over the past five days that he's been away, he hasn't missed even a single time of texting me in the night before I go to bed, or in the morning when I wake up.

He also hasn't missed a single opportunity to shock me with the categorically horrifying hours that he gets to sleep, by his texts, letting me know that he'll be out for the next few hours.

His last text last night had come in at three-thirty this morning telling me that he'll see me at eleven for our outing.

Like a Dutch train, he was in the kitchen at eleven sharp, talking, laughing, pretending to be scared of any apples that I may have stashed around.

The moment he walked into the kitchen, as I stood at the island counter, eating buttered toast, my heart filled with some sort of happy feeling and I didn't remember the last time someone's presence had excited me.

Jenna and Juliet were back in their own house and Mrs. Kingsley was out doing her own thing, so Elliot and I were free to roam the city.

The music in the car is on, playing soft instrumental covers of popular songs.

We're both quiet.

A few minutes into the drive, Elliot reaches over and takes my hand.

He raises it to his mouth, not taking his eyes off the road, and kissed my knuckles.

Then, he proceeds to hold it.

Once in a while, he'll gently squeeze my hand and I'll squeeze back.

We travel in companionable silence and I can't help, but feel a sense of calm and peace.

When Elliot turns into a parking lot behind a large, wrought iron gate, I'm almost exactly sure what we're here to do.

Once he's parked the car, Elliot tells me to give him a minute and gets off, walking to the trunk of the car to get something out.

He then walks over and opens my door for me.

In his hand, he holds a spray bottle and a washcloth.

As I step out, he gives me a small smile.