54. Journal Entry Forty Five of Growing

Dad,

Dad,

The knock at my door came so late that I knew it had to be one of my friends.

I was proven completely and utterly right when I flung the door open and there stood Isa, complete with her dark hair in a lopsided bun on top of her head and clad in unicorn pajamas.

I pressed my lips together when I saw her and just waited.

Isa rolled her eyes and huffed at me. "I'm having a sleepover with your girlfriend and our other friends."

So, I jabbed my finger in the direction of their room and said, "In that case, you're in the wrong place."

Again, Isa rolled her eyes and asked, "Are we both going to stand out here or are you going to step aside and let me in? Because I will barrel in either way."

So, I let myself be bullied into letting Isa walk into my room at about one in the morning.

She walked right over and plopped herself down on to the bed, as she looked around at my room. Even before she said it, I knew what she would comment on.

"God, Eli. They're going to fire their housekeeping staff and hire you instead," she said, shaking her head at the way I had arranged all the remotes on the bedside table.

I'd known Isa long enough to know that this is her way of prefacing to telling me something, so I waited.

Isa, then, patted the bed next to her, so I went and sat down.

"I saw Reina today," she said.

You remember Reina.

"So did I," I told her.

"Apparently, she's back in Whitfield Hills."

That made me raise my eyebrows. Mostly because Isa and Reina were never such good friends that I would have thought they would exchange their whereabouts.

"She did always like it here," I said, stating a fact because Reina said it all the time.

I think Isa was a little surprised that I spoke of Reina without anger or anything. It's been a long time I've moved on from the hurt that Reina and I caused each other.

Isa looked over at me and seemed to consider my response and expression.

"I think, in an attempt to be your friend, I forgot that she was actually a nice person."

I gave her a look, which made her laugh.

"Oh, I know, I know," she told me, "The ever-wonderful Eli would never date someone who wasn't actually good on the inside, but you really weren't yourself with her. Do you remember?"

I nodded, for lack of better response.

"I was glad when the two of you finally broke up because it felt like you were actually you. I know you've been with Al for a while now, but you have never not seemed more yourself."