38. Journal Entry Four of Growing

When you like someone, when you're attracted to someone, your brain floods with neurochemicals like oxytocin, dopamine and this increases your mental activity, your sense of excitement and giddiness, your hyperactivity

I've been studying the brain for years now, so I know this.

It's my life's work now.

But still, still, I'm here.

It's been an hour since Aura and I got home.

It's been an hour since I walked into her room and kissed her for the first time in my life – a kiss that was good enough for me to hope that I never have to kiss anyone else.

And yet, I have not been able to stop wondering what the hell is happening to me.

I know, though.

Dad, this girl is fantastic.

I don't think that's the best word, but I can't really focus on this at the moment.

My thoughts are with her.

Sorry about that, Dad.

But it's the truth.

If you were here, I would have walked into your room or into your office and told you all about it and you would have laughed at how overexcited I am.

She's so ... I don't know, Dad.

She's so many things.

She's happy and lively and clever and mischievous and sarcastic.

She smiles at I have to fight to keep my breath. I have to remind myself to go on with my day and not just stare at her.

I took her to the Sky Rooms and she looked around with so much wonder.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again: I think the world might be better through her eyes.

I couldn't even let her explore the Rooms to her heart's content, Dad, I just wanted to talk to her, to get to know her.

So, we left.

And we talked.

Talking to her is so wonderful, Dad.

Even about the most mundane things.

She called me 'El', Dad.

El.

No one calls me El.

My entire life, everyone's called me Eli.

I like her version.

Especially coming from her mouth.

Did I mention that I kissed her?

I don't know if I would have told you that if you were here.

I might have kept it to myself for a while.

You might have guessed because of the absolutely inane grin I can't get off my face.

I want to go knock on her door and ask if we can do it all over again.

But I think we might have a lifetime for that.

She had some conditions for me.

She didn't want a second date until I discussed some things with her.

You would have thought it was really smart of her.

She asked me important questions; things that you used to tell me are things I need to talk about before marrying someone.

She asked me about finances, living situations, children.

I answered all of them as honestly as I could.

She said that she'll let me live to see another day.

And Dad, that another day cannot get here fast enough.

How have your feelings for Eli changed from the previous chapters to this?

I hope you're liking it.

I'll try to update more frequently.

Much love.