18. Journal Entry Six of Learning

Dad,

Dad,

I was eighteen.

I was applying to different universities.

I was stressed.

I filled in the application, wrote the essays and did everything I had to do for my top pick.

Every moment of my life leading up to the moment that I sat there, at my laptop, looking at the submission page was stressful, but none of those moments compared to the ones I was living through right then.

With one click, everything I could have done would have been over.

For months on end, I'd pulled my weight and dwelt on the best ways to phrase my essay and the best things to put on my application.

Finally, the moment of truth.

All I had to do was hit the submit button and it would be gone.

My future would then, lie in the hands of the board of admissions.

I wasn't too fond of that thought.

I like to be in control of what happens in my life, but after I hit that button, I would have no control over it anymore.

Mom had tried in vain for a long time to convince me that I had done so well and I shouldn't be afraid to submit it. She finally gave up and went to bed.

I think she sent you as her envoy.

I'm certain there were tears in my eyes when you sat down beside me at the dining table and sighed.

"That button isn't going to press itself, kiddo," you told me.

I pushed my laptop away from me, honestly a bit sick of it and slumped into my chair because I felt hopeless.

I felt like nothing I could possibly do at that moment would help me, but despite that, I couldn't make up my mind and just do it.

After a while, you asked me, "What are you afraid of?"

"Not getting in, obviously," I told you.

You turned in your seat to face me and I knew that I had to look at you.

I just couldn't, so I waited.

You didn't relent, so I finally turned to look at you.

You did that thing where you tilted your head down and looked up at me. "You've done your best, haven't you, Elliot?" you asked.

I nodded.

You, then, put your hand on my shoulder – the same hand that I always put on Marco's shoulder – and you squeezed my shoulder – the same way I do with Marco.