24. Journal Entry Twelve of Learning

Dad

Dad.

I had just emerged from my bathroom after having had a shower when Jenna knocked on my door.

Of course, I didn't know that it was her till I said the door is open and Jenna walked in.

When I saw it was her, I asked, "We just sat beside each other and watched a two-and-a-half-hour movie together. Haven't you had enough of me today?"

"Just about," she told me, walking in like she owned the place.

She sat down on the whirly chair and my desk and spun around a few times. She reached over and picked up the picture of you and I that sits on my desk; the one taken at my diploma graduation. She inspected it for a while before finally looking at me.

"What?" I asked.

She waved the picture at me. "Dad would be proud of where you are."

I narrowed my eyes at her, because, as you well know, my sister isn't one to pay – especially me – compliments out of turn.

I told her, "I didn't know that I stepped into an alternate dimension when I walked out of the bathroom."

Jenna groaned, exasperatedly, which, I must say, made my inner annoying older brother laugh a little on the inside because I aggravated my sister and that's a definite win.

"Can you let me be nice for a whole second?" she grumbled.

I sat down at the edge of my bed and told her that she can go right ahead and be nicer to me.

Jenna put the picture back in its place and sniffed at me before saying, completely accusatorily, "I heard you played the piano for Al."

"Amongst other sacrilegious things I did that day."

That earned me an eye roll, but she also added, "She likes the kind of olden 'all hail Tchaikovsky' kind of music that you do."

"I noticed," I told her.

She looked around the room for a while after that.

Quietly.

This is where I began to wonder whether my sister had been lobotomized because she is not quiet.

Then, very quietly, unusually quietly for her, she told me, "Eli, you know something?"

I nodded at her to tell her to go on.

And then, she told me the story of how you had, in your own strange, cryptic way approved of the girl that she's about to marry – even when you didn't know whether they would even get together.

It made me happy hearing that.

Because even if I might never know what you think of my possible future spouse, I know that you gave your approval to Jenna well in advance.