chapter 36

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” — Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

{RECAP: The Alphas' and their few pack members are at the Lycans' castle, they had the dance party and dinner where Vivian meets Randy, Braden and Leia (Tyler's mate). At night, she feels Ethan's pain and sneaks off to find him. They talk and are interrupted by someone during their kiss}

36.

Ethan immediately grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him so we were standing side by side; a gesture that didn’t go unnoticed by me. Instead of pulling me behind him, he made me stand right next to him, as an equal.

The twigs crunched under our intruder’s feet as he took a step closer towards us. Even though the moon hung quietly in the distance, casting a honeyed sheen over the trees; our intruder was submerged within the darkness, melted into the shadows as if he was born into them.

But still, there was no mistaking that voice of his.

“When I said I will see you soon, I didn’t expect it to be this soon… quite a show you both put on.” He stepped out from within the shadows and I gazed up at the dark shape of the man in front of me. “I knew there was something off about this entire celebration; there was no way you still hadn’t found your mate.”

“Well now you do, so why don’t you go and tell it to your master like a good little pup,” Ethan growled at him.

“What makes you think I’ll do that?” His lips bared the semblance of a smile; just enough to show that he was enjoying this.

Ethan’s eyes were now two, black abysses. There were faint lines of dark veins visible around it, marring his beautiful skin. The beast that I had calmed down not so long ago was once again making a return. He didn’t grace our intruder with an answer so he took that as an opportunity to continue talking.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell your dirty, little secret to anyone.”

To rile Ethan up even further, he winked. Ethan’s lips slightly parted in a snarl as he bared his sharp teeth and canines at him but before this ended up in a physical show of masculinity, I spoke up.

“What do you want, Braden?”

Braden’s dark eyes slowly slid to mine, the corner of his mouth curving up, “At present?” His dark gaze drank in my appearance, lingering for a while at my bare legs with interest until Ethan took a step forward, positioning his body towards me in a possessive manner. “I want nothing… but soon you’ll get a chance to pay the price for my silence.”

“We don’t want to be in your debt. You can go and tell whoever you want!” Ethan hurled back, his jaw tightly clenched. I could judge from his tense body language that he was slowly losing control to his other side, something which could lead to devastating consequences.

“Calm down, Ethan! What are you trying to do?”

He turned back to look at me, “Do you seriously want to do this, Vivian?” My gaze fell on the throbbing vein in his neck, then towards his dangerous, onyx eyes. His power radiated of him like an invisible aura, looming like a dark cloud, “We don’t even know him; what are the chances he goes behind our back? You know what kind of a man he is.”

“Oh pray tell, what kind of a man am I?” Braden prompted. He had now seated himself on a nearby boulder, lazily running his thumb across his lips.

“The kind of a man you don’t want to make deals with because sooner or later you’ll regret it.”

Braden’s laugh came out in a short grunt, as if he was mocking him, “And you got all that from tonight’s event?”