chapter 28

"Without forgiveness, there is no future." - Desmund Tutu

28.

"Vivian? Is everything okay?"

My mind had travelled somewhere afar, finding it difficult to process the news that was handed out to me but his voice brought me back to the present. Those metal, grey eyes desperately searched mine… waiting.

"It was Jonathan. A letter just came... from the Lycan Committee."

Saying it out aloud somehow made it sound even more real.

Ethan’s entire demeanour changed as soon as those words escaped my lips. Those glittering eyes turned cold - worry flashing in them. His body visibly stiffened, and his fists clenched.

He opened his mouth to reply but no words came out. It was as if the revelation had knocked every wisp of air from his lungs - his heavy eyelids were a fraction too slow to blink, the irises too stationary.

Neither of us expected this.

The fear was gaining in on me, an uneasy feeling settled deep in my stomach. I tried to take a deep breath - to release some of the tension, to relax my brain which on full alert and firing hundreds of unhelpful thoughts at once – but to no avail.

The truth couldn’t be avoided.

We stood there for a minute, silently looking at each other, processing the gravity of the situation - of our future. What could this letter possibly mean?

"I am sorry," I began when I realised he wasn't going to speak any time soon, "I need to go back and see what is in the letter. We can continue this some other time if you'd like?"

His soft gaze was abruptly replaced with a glare, and my chest tightened at the intensity of it, "Are you serious?" he scowled, "Do you seriously think I'll leave you when a letter by the Lycans was delivered at your doorstep?" He walked closer to me, his tall height towering over mine like a huge tree, "They're here," his dark and hoarse voice sending chills down my spine, "and I am not leaving you."

It wasn't a request, it was a statement. The tone of his voice and the heat behind his eyes were the only message I needed. He was going to come with me, no matter what.

Along with our future, the future of our packs were also at a risk which meant as an Alpha, he equally deserved to see what the letter held.
There was no point in arguing, it would only serve to be a waste of time and we were already short on it, especially since we had no idea what the enemies were planning.

However, one thing was clear; we were together in this.

I nodded his way, and then began to walk in the direction of my office where our future awaited, sealed behind an envelope.

----

The letter was sitting on my desk, in the full sunlight which was pouring in from the office window.

"It was brought here five minutes ago," Jonathan informed, his eyes trained on the letter just like ours were.

We stared at it as if something would jump right out of it.

"Who brought it?"

"Ashlee. She was walking towards the pack-house after the training ended when an arrow darted right past her, missing her by an inch. The letter was tied to it."

"Did she see who it was?" Ethan questioned and Jonathan just shook his head.

My eyes darkened as I felt my wolf surfacing. She was furious. "So you're telling me someone entered my territory, almost killed my pack member just to deliver a letter and no one saw who it was?"