chapter 21

"Time is the wisest counselor of all" - Pericles

21.

1.5 months later

Time.

A simple four letter word. The four letters which we all crave for but hardly ever use purposefully.

Time is similar to the grains of sand; slipping away, never to return again. It is our choices and actions which will determine whether time will be our adversary or our ally.

But most importantly, time waits for no one.

And I realised it the hard way.

Yesterday

"Clean up on aisle 3, Vivian!" the sweet voice of my employer called out. I hurriedly stacked the soda bottles on the wooden shelf, and rushed towards aisle 3, praying on the inside that whatever awaits me wasn't as bad as last night's unfortunate adventure - cleaning up baby vomit. Mopping that floor while taking in the nauseating stench nearly made me belch myself.

"Vivian to the rescue," I said to no one in particular as I turned the corner to get inside aisle 3. Olivia, my thirty-six year old employer, stood with both hands on the waist, a look of annoyance on her face. Her current state reminded me of my own mother, how the exact expressions and gestures would find their way on her face whenever she was mad at me.

My eyes looked around, searching for the accident I was called for, silently praying for it to not be a person's undigested matter.

It wasn't. Thank Goddess.

Around fifty toilet paper rolls were on the floor, a few of them by the end of the aisle, with their roll spread out like a red carpet.

"Who's the culprit?" I inquired, squatting down to pick up the ones nearest me.

"Yours truly," she sighed and pointed at herself, "I was reaching for the detergents at the top rack for a customer but accidentally knocked the toilet rolls off. I would've cleaned it up but I'm needed at the cash counter," she answered.

Standing up, I began to restack the toilet rolls I was carrying in my arms in their previous order. "No worries, at least it isn't vomit." I pointed my index finger inside my throat and gagged, making Olivia laugh who then made her way towards the counter.

It had been over a month since I last left the wolf territory. Ever since then, I made no contact with any family member - or any wolf in fact. Initially, adjusting in the human territory proved challenging. Back in my pack, I trained little pups and teenage wolves along with my brother to earn money. Just because you were an Alpha's daughter didn't mean that you could have an endless supply of money. We had one rule for everyone - work hard to get paid.

Finding jobs in the pack wasn't difficult, everyone helped each other and had the liberty to choose their field of career. Our family bonds extended outside our bloodline. The entire pack was one big family. There was equality for all. Men could cook, females could own businesses or do jobs regarding pack's security and vice versa. There was no discrimination, competition or greed. Both genders were paid equally. Neither were there limited positions. If you're qualified, you're in.

However, in the lands of human, it was the exact opposite. Finding a good job proved to be pretty difficult. It was even more hectic for me because I had to look for a job far away from the human-wolf border in order to conceal myself.

Securing this position as a salesperson was pure stroke of luck and timing. By the second week, I was running low on money. I was left with 120 dollars; 100 for my hotel expenses and 20 for my own spending.